wood or pellet stoves

/ wood or pellet stoves #1  

jand38

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC 30
I would like some input on the pellet stoves and the regular style. I would have to buy my fire wood too old to harvest it myself. I would also like to know if brand preference and approx. price you paid, today I was quoted $2000 plus for stove and $1000 to install I thought the price of stove was out of line. I would be supplementing my heat pump.
Thank you in advance

/ wood or pellet stoves #2  
Get other quotes. All of those prices sound high.

My pellet stove was $1800 and I installed it myself.

/ wood or pellet stoves #3  
I priced the pellet stoves at 2500$ and on up to nearly 3000$. You get what you pay for with Lowe's specials for 500$ or dang nice stuff around 3000$.

The nice pellet stoves are Quadrafires, harman, and even Lopi. Cheaper for a woodstove at just over 1000$ for small but nice country on up to a 2500$ for a decently large Country, Jotul, Pacific Energy, or Lopi.

It cost nearly 4000$ to have either a nice woodstove or a nice pellet stove installed with the cheapest option being a crappy pellet stove since the woodstoves don't got too cheap.

If I was too worn out (not old) to cut wood then I would go pellet. There is not much economical advantage to wood burning when you have to purchase cordwood. Be sure to buy your pellets in teh summer, as they have a problem with keeping enough supply in the winter.

/ wood or pellet stoves #4  
You might also look at some of the online dealers. I purchased a pellet stove last febuary from Stoves Direct.com. Good price and free shipping. I was planning on a self install in place of an existing woodstove so wasn't looking for any local dealership. It saved me a considerable ammount of money. Some key points you want to look at are heat exchanger efficiency vs BTU's burnt/generated. Some manufacturers arn't all that upfront with their numbers. In some cases they advertise the stove as producing 30,000 BTU's per hour when what they really mean is the fuel burnt is producing 30,000 BTU worth of heat per hour. The heat exchanger efficiency determines how much of this heat makes it into the room and how much goes up the exhaust. You can determine this by the ammount of fuel consumed per hour X BTU content of the fuel(about 8500 BTU/LB) X heat exchanger efficiency(usually between 70% and 85%). Ususlly the larger the number of heat exchanger tubes you have, the greater the efficiency. This is important to properly size the stove for your needs. Most of the stoves today will have a lo-med-hi setting and associated heat output values. Most stoves also don't like to be run on the high setting for extended periods of time so you need a stove that will meet your needs on low or medium output. This will also help you calculate how many pellets you need to buy to last the season. As mentioned, buy during summer and try to avoid buying last season's pellets that have sat out all winter:)

Look for a stove with the ash pan sealed inside the fire box IE: you have to open the front door to remove the pan. This design has fewer potential air leaks and will draw less warm air from the room to be sent up the exhaust. Pans in separate lower compartments with separate access have more joints to leak.
Make sure the combustion air inlet, usually a pipe fitting on the back of the stove, is plummed directly into the fire box. Some manufacturers draw air into the firebox from inside the stove enclosure(which is not airtight) and the external air fitting is just piped into the enclosure. These things consume a massive ammount of air which is how they burn so clean. Unless the inlet air is forced to draw from a pipe that leads outside the house, that combustion air will be drawn from the warm room and sent up the chimney. Removeing that warm air will create a negative pressure in the room and the warm air will be replaced by cold outside air through any air leaks you have around doors, windows ect. When I first started mine up, I did not have the outside air connection hooked up. The living room was actually cooler than it was with the wood stove as I was sucking the warm air out of the room near the source and pulling cool outer air from outside into the room through air leaks.
These things have 2 blowers and an auger motor and on high output can be quite noisy so that may have an impact on where you place it or how you operate it. One of the quietest stoves I saw operate was one called the "Mini" manufactured by a Canadian company called Enviro-Fire. Pellet Freestanding Stoves It has insulation panels inside the side panels to help cut down on noise. They also have options for the combustion blower to be outside for even quiet operation.

Overall after a year I like the pellet. Less work prepping fuel and no wood mess or insects brought into the house as well as less ash taken out. It isn't the deep radiant heat that our small woodstove gave off, but it keeps the place warm.

Good Luck

/ wood or pellet stoves
Thank you Ron this is what I am looking for I will start doing the # MD

/ wood or pellet stoves #6  
I currently have a pellet stove made by England Stove Works. It was here when we bought the house in November. Use it to primarily take the chill out of the basement and also to help out the main furnace when it is really frigid. I really do like the ease to light and use in general. Puts off some good heat. Nice and clean to use, as long as you don't spill an entire bag of pellets on the floor while filling the machine. Definitely a defective bag, not operator error. As compared with the woodburner we had at the old house, the woodburner definitely won hands down as far as heat output, but as far as simplicity to use, heat control, and cleanliness the pellets win. I bought a ton of pellets and am still working my way through those, getting close to the end. Good luck with the pellets, I would buy the best pellet stove that is reasonable, maybe you can get a deal if you buy towards the end of the season.

My pellet stove has the sealed firebox that I have to open to clean out. This is easy, once cooled I just shop vac it out. I don't have a cold air intake b/c I didn't choose the unit. If I were to get a new one I would defintely go that way.

/ wood or pellet stoves #7  
You might want to consider a multi-fuel unit so you have the option to burn corn or wood pellets. I have a small Thelen pellet stove in my house and only use it for supplemental heat. I also have a corn/pellet stove in my workshop pole barn. I burned corn in it at first since that was available. I have since burned wood pellets in it since I bought a ton of pellets and they were available. The wood pellets really went up in price over the last several years. So has corn now that it's being used for fuel. Last year corn was $90 a ton. I didn't price it this year. These are not my main source of heat so are not burned 24 hours a day every day. If they were I would be buying a lot of dry corn.

/ wood or pellet stoves #8  
jand38, Not knowing your primary need for solid fuel I offer this opinion. Good used welded steel & cast iron stoves are readily availible on EBAY. Last year in my area pellets were in short supply so sales were limited in quantity and priced accordingly. A standard stove will burn anything, without electricity. If your need is for emergency heat a standard stove offers the most flexability, although maybe not the most efficient or environmentally friendly. Flexibility is important when the environment is being unfriendly. MikeD74T

Last edited:
   / wood or pellet stoves #9  
Jand38,

After reading all of the issues with pellet prices I would consider a corn burning stove. They seem to have the advantages of the pellet stove but hopefully better fuel costs. We have thought of adding a second stove to suppliment the wood stove overnight and when we are not at home. Seems like corn would be more evenly priced compared to pellets.

Later,
Dan

/ wood or pellet stoves #10  
We burn pellets and are happy with the setup. Our local corn prices are getting high and are going to continue to climb, so I am glad we do not have a corn burner. Our local dealer said that the price of pellets will go down and stabilize. He said that, "pellets are the result of sawmills getting rid of their waste product and making a little profit out of doing so. The market is getting saturated and if they price the pellets too high they cannot sell them and can't get rid of their saw dust". This is what I was told so don't shoot the messenger, but it does make sense, I hope he is right.