Oil Tanks in my Basement

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #1  

wjmst

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota bx2200
Hello,

I currently have 2 - 275 gallon Roth fuel oil tanks in my basement. I need between 600-750 gallons of fuel for the winter (October to May).

I would like to add a 3rd 275 gallon tank, which according to the Roth company is possible. However, the local oil company says it is against code. I know of many people around the area here in PA that have 3 tanks in their basement.

Does anybody know what the code is these days? Just wondering. They are to come out on friday for a fill-up, if they don't get stuck in the snow.

Thanks.
Wes

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #2  
Afternoon Wes,
I would think your best bet is to contact your local building inspector and ask him for your code restrictions on oil tanks in the basement. I cant see how one more tank would make that much difference.

Our local volunteer fire department got called last year to a homeowner that had some cats in the basement pea on the fuel line that exits the 275 gal tank, you guessed itm their basement got covered in heating oil. What a mess, so as long as you dont have cats in the basement you should be OK ;)

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #3  
Fire code may vary from state to state and locale to locale. It's best to talk to your local inspector or fire dept and get the "real" story.

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #4  
You might run in to a secondary containment issue.
That means if you have a leak you have to be able to capture
it in another container I have seen steel skid tanks with the tank.
at work our fire pump fuel tank is over a concrete pit.

some thing like this link would work if this is the problem
Ultra-Containment Sump 275

tommu56

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #5  
Many laws re: tanks in the basement have changed over the years. New installations may require a containment barrier to be installed. Many fuel delivery companies in my area will not fill your tank if it is in the basement whether you have a containment barrier or not. They are worried about overfilling the tank causing a spill which can be a mess to clean up in a basement. DEC gets involved with hazardous spills. They fuel oil companies don't want the responsibility / liability of paying for a cleanup. I have a tank in my basement. A couple years ago the driver told me the above. I bought a second tank and set it outside and piped it through the basement wall and down to the basement tank with shutoff valves at each end. This way I run off the basement tank and when it gets low I open the valves and gravity fill it from the higher outside tank. Then when I call they only have to refill the outside tank and it keeps them happy.

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #6  
Check with the local code offical, fire dept, building dept, etc.

BUT it looks like the following would apply.

NFPA 31, Standard for the Installation of Oil-Burning Equipment

1.1.1 This standard shall apply to the installation of stationary oil-burning equipment and appliances, including but not limited to industrial-, commercial-, and residential-type steam, hot water, or warm air heating plants; domestic-type range burners and space heaters; and portable oil-burning equipment.

7.5.16 Where a tank or tank system is not located in a dedicated room or enclosure, the maximum capacity in the building shall not exceed 1320 gal (5000 L) for a nonengineered system and shall not exceed 1375 gal (5200 L) for an engineered system, unless the installation meets the criteria in 7.5.16.1 or 7.5.16.2.

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement
tommu56 said:
You might run in to a secondary containment issue.
That means if you have a leak you have to be able to capture
it in another container I have seen steel skid tanks with the tank.
at work our fire pump fuel tank is over a concrete pit.

some thing like this link would work if this is the problem
Ultra-Containment Sump 275

tommu56

Thanks for all the info. The oil company called and said they don't want to get stuck, so they probably will not be out to fill my tanks if the weather is bad! Snow and ice is arriving today. Great... I still have about 20 to 30 days worth of fuel, so I will give them a call again next week if the weather improves.

The Roth tanks I have in my basement are double walled, check out their website if you are interested.

ROTH NORTH AMERICA

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #8  
You're in PA which goes by the International Building Code. It's a state wide code now so local officials do not have a lot of latitude to vary from what's in there. According to IBC, above ground or in basement maximum amount of oil is restricted to 660 gallons. Only two tanks may be hooked together. If you want a larger volume of oil you'll have to go with a buried tank.

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #9  
I worked for a truck rental and leasing company and we could only have X amount of gallons bulk fluid storage (fresh oil, waste oil, anti-freeze, etc - excluding gas and diesel for our fuel island) for our shop due to what I was told EPA regulations.. I dont know if epa regs also apply here or not..

brian

/ Oil Tanks in my Basement #10  
I have 3 oil tanks out side in a shed , i have been useing them for 15 years , they were used when i got them , i seam to have a lot a sluge in them , and i have a filter on each tankl and a 2nd filter after that , but i have had to change my nozles about each week or so ,soon as i do it runs great , i changed the filter on the tank and the 2nd filter on the tank , and it ran good for two weeks now , tonight i had tochange the nozel there is no drain on the bottom of the old tanks , i see the new tanks dio have themnow , any idea what i can do ? should i get a new tank ? it is getting to be a real pain , Thanks Frank near Erie Pa