How can I use a UPS?

/ How can I use a UPS? #11  
MossRoad said:
Disposing of a couple dozen car sized batteries can get expensive, so be careful you don't get stuck with an environmental hazzard. ;)

ummm in STL there is an running add in Craigslist for a guy willing to by car batteries off you for $2 a piece.

word has it the recycle places are playing "top dollar" for them these day for the metals inside.

it USED to be the case when it would cost ya to get rid of a battery, but when the penny and nickel are worth more as scrap than US currency you get the idea that metals are sky high right now. (or the us $ is way low... but the effect is the same)

/ How can I use a UPS? #12  
stumpfield said:
Do you think it going to be an asset or liability to my modest solar power system? I don't have constant grid-tie power to maintain them.

Installation of that UPS would need to be engineered.
UPS's have been known to backfeed and cause equipment damage, even when installed properly.

/ How can I use a UPS? #13  
marimus said:
Yes.

I have a few 1200 watt APC units, which I have extended runtime units for. These are simply an extra battery in a pretty box. The UPS has a connector on the back to plug into, and you can daisy chain upto 4 or 5.

If you get a replacement APC battery for you UPS, you will find it has the same connector, and you can just plug it into the back of your UPS, but you will only be able to plug 1 extra battery this way (no daisy chain).

You also have to program the ups with how many batteries are connected, or else the remaining power calculation will be out. You still get the extended runtime, only it will say you have 30 mins remaining, and then 1/2 hour later you still have 30 mins :)

Thanks, mine does not have that provision on the back, but I can add that provision :D