New Well at 1.5 gal per min.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I had my new well drilled today for the new house. I went out at lunch today and they were at 400' and 1.5 gal per min. The guy running the truck said at 300' he was also at 1.5 per min.

Fast forward to this afternoon and they call and say they are at 625' and 1.5 gal per min. The owner tells me I should have minimum of 2000 gal of water a day. That I could pump 500 gallons in an hours time and not worry about running out. He also said the average household of 4 people use around 500 gallons a day. He also said he has many wells just like mine that have had not problems for 30 years.

He just said I should not run a sprinkler all night long and I should have plenty of water.

He is the same guy who bored my well at our current house 20 years ago and we have had no problems but it was bored not drilled and was only around 300' deep.

Anyone have a drilled well? And if so how many gallons per min?

I also have a free tap from the county for giving them a easement to cross the river on my property with the county water line. But the county does not think I will be able to get pressure on top of the ridge where we are building. I am going to have the tap put in at the bottom near our drivway since it won't cost anything and use it for the future greenhouses. And if needed I can always add a pressure pump to get it to the house if needed.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #2  
I drilled in MN in '03. Water table is 30' ish. My cousin Witches wells & said I'd get 5gpm @ 100'.

Driller comes out & gets 3gpm @ 30' Said I could stop here & be like everybody else, I said keep going. He kept going thru 100 and ended up at 150' @ 20gpm. Happy camper :)

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #3  
My well is 360 ft deep. Static water level is within 20 ft of the top of the well and pump is just off the bottom. That gives about 500 gallons in the 6" hole. Recovery rate is just about what yours is at 1.5 gpm. In over 30 years, with a family of 5 we have never run out of water, and thats doing plenty of laundry and taking plenty of showers, etc.

If your static level is near the top of the well then you should have 800-900 gallons in the hole. More than enough to not worry about. Relax.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #4  
Well there are lots of wells in this part of the country that do not do any better than that. You have two choices. One put the pump deep and use the well for storage. I am not sure how much water is in 500 ft of a 6 in casing but considerable. Or two pump into a storage tank. My well runs on solar power and only pumps 2 gal a minute during daylight. i pump into 1500 gallons of storage and only run out when I do stupid things like leave a hose running all night long. But for what that well cost you I believe that i would have put a storage tank at the county water tap and then used a boost pump for my water.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #5  
hunterridgefarm said:
I had my new well drilled today for the new house. I went out at lunch today and they were at 400' and 1.5 gal per min. The guy running the truck said at 300' he was also at 1.5 per min.

Fast forward to this afternoon and they call and say they are at 625' and 1.5 gal per min. The owner tells me I should have minimum of 2000 gal of water a day. That I could pump 500 gallons in an hours time and not worry about running out. He also said the average household of 4 people use around 500 gallons a day. He also said he has many wells just like mine that have had not problems for 30 years.

He just said I should not run a sprinkler all night long and I should have plenty of water.

He is the same guy who bored my well at our current house 20 years ago and we have had no problems but it was bored not drilled and was only around 300' deep.

Anyone have a drilled well? And if so how many gallons per min?

I also have a free tap from the county for giving them a easement to cross the river on my property with the county water line. But the county does not think I will be able to get pressure on top of the ridge where we are building. I am going to have the tap put in at the bottom near our drivway since it won't cost anything and use it for the future greenhouses. And if needed I can always add a pressure pump to get it to the house if needed.

Ask them to Hydrofract the well. thats where they pump water and air into the well at high pressure and fracture the surrounding rock to open the seems. Its good for a couple more GPM and doesnt really cost much more if they are still on the well.
Our well had about 1.5 GPM at 700 ft. They hydrofract it and got 3GPM and opened a seem at about 150 ft. So I dropped the pump down to 600 (so I wouldnt have to splice wires or tubing) and have about 450ft of reservoir.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #6  
Jimbrown said:
I am not sure how much water is in 500 ft of a 6 in casing but considerable.
A 6" diameter hole holds 1.47 gallons of water per foot. So therefore, a 500 ft hole will have 735 gallons assuming the hole is filled to the top.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #7  
This is not my field, but if you can pull more than 1.5gpm at the county tap and the county tap is a comparable vertical distance from your house as your current well bottom then why wouldn't it be advantageous to simply pump up from the county tap?

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #8  
I thought 8-10 was minimun. I[d want to water my yard and plants if needed.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min. #9  
RobJ said:
I thought 8-10 was minimun. I[d want to water my yard and plants if needed.
There is no reason you can't do that with a well that recovers at 1.5 gpm.

The biggest concern a low yielding well owner should have is how much water is in reserve. If your well is deep enough or you have external storage tanks you can pretty much rest assured that you will be able to anything except for maybe fill a large inground swimming pool. I have never run my well dry, even in the dryest of summers and we have never been conservative with water usage.

/ New Well at 1.5 gal per min.
BarryinMN said:
He kept going thru 100 and ended up at 150' @ 20gpm. Happy camper :)

Show off:D :D your sitting on a underground lake!:D