CARPENTER ANTS

/ CARPENTER ANTS #1  

inveresk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case CX31B ZTS
There are a number of carpenter ant nests distributed throughout the woodland area of our 11 acre farm. One of them, at least 3 feet high, is located about 100 feet from the new barn. What's the best thing to do with these, leave them alone or break them out with the backhoe? I don't want to use poison to eradicate them but their proximity to the barn concerns me.

/ CARPENTER ANTS #2  
You have numerous carpenter ant hills within 100 feet of your new barn and you DON'T want to use poisons, Is That right? I hope your barn is constructed of metal.
Jim:)

/ CARPENTER ANTS #3  
You want to use poison. There are animals that are beneficial but creepy like a bat but then there are animals that are destructive and creepy like carpenter ants. They are a pest to be exterminated. Termites are on the same level as carpenter ants.

Be sure to perimeter poison your buildings at the same time or before you poison the mounds so that the fleeing ants don't take up shop in your joists.

Have you always wondered what that scratch scratch sound was that you can hear while lying in bed at night?

/ CARPENTER ANTS
We're trying to adopt organic farming practices here and poisons aren't exactly compatible.

There are no signs of the barn being infected and, on inspection, foraging parties don't yet seem to get that far although that may change as the weather heats up.

If breaking up the nest mechanically then incinerating the remains with a roofing torch would work, I'd rather try that for starters.

/ CARPENTER ANTS #5  
Inveresk, I can understand why you don't want to go on the offensive yet. I have ants at my country place. They are very interesting to watch. Not sure of the species but they are large and they do chew wood. Home base was a very large dying Maple 20' from the house. The maple was mortally wounded by a previous owner's excavations. The ants were easy to monitor because they actually wear a path a half inch wide in the lawn on their travels back and forth. People always notice the trails between trees and are amazed that ants could make them. One year a new trail appeared between the maple and the house. Then traces of saw dust appeared in the back room. The maple was dead so I cut it down. They are still around but have relocated to a willow. Last year they stayed away from the house. Before I tear down and rebuild I will have to deal with the small colony remaining. Until then they maintain their status as conversation piece.

/ CARPENTER ANTS #6  
Carpenter ants are NOT on the same level as termites. Carpenter ants only eat rotten wood. You won't have any problems with them unless you have rot. If in your buildings they are a symptom, rot is the problem. Sometimes you'll see carpenter ants roaming in a building, scouting for food, if there has been recent woodwork completed, but again they only eat rotten wood.
Carpenter bees are like termites, kill them quick as you find them. They eat good wood and can show up at your house when nearby deforestation occurs. MikeD74T

/ CARPENTER ANTS #7  
They need wet wood. Keep your barn dry and rot free and it will stay carpenter ant free. If you see a carpenter ant infestation in your barn or house, you have a water problem. As Mike said, they are a symptom rather than a problem in themselves.

Cliff

/ CARPENTER ANTS #8  
Makes sense about the ants and rot. In my yard anything that they have chewed probably had some degree of rot.

/ CARPENTER ANTS #9  
I've seen carpenter ants go after non-rotting wood in homes. They may prefer rotted wood, but that certainly does no exclude them from going after newer, dryer wood.

Despite being organic, chemicals are the best preventative to protect structures at risk.

paul

/ CARPENTER ANTS
I decided to have a word with a local pest controller. He's known on the island as a minimal interventionist and the advice he gave is consistent with Mike's and Cliff's. He said carpenter ants preferred wet wood and there's plenty of that in the forest. They don't particularly like nor need the dry stuff in the house although if I change the conditions for them by allowing it to become wet, they'll quickly take up residence. Provided I keep the buildings in dry and sound condition, I shouldn't have a problem and any ants I spot inside are probably only foraging rather than nesting.

He counseled that I should leave the nests outside alone. Tearing them open with the backhoe is likely to result in more problems than it would solve, causing the ants to spread out.