Horse Has New Pain In Rump...

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #1  

dmccarty

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 4700
Sigh.....

A couple months ago I started a thread about the Wife's Horse which had pain it it's from shoulders. That problem has been resolved.

We moved the horse to a new stable. The owners seemed to be honest and have been trying sell the horse for us. After the horse was healed from the ealier mistreatment we thought things were ok and we would be able to sell the horse. The front legs are all healed.....

But, now the horse has a limp in a back leg. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif The problem is that we need to sell the horse and at this point we are getting a low bid, not a suprise, for the horse. Its going to cost 3-500 dollars just to looked into what might be wrong with the leg and of course there is no way to know if the problem can be fixed. The offer on the horse is $500.

The horse is a Quarter Horse with "Good Foundation" whatever that means....

Any ideas on why a horse would be limping on a back leg? The horse has only been ridden lightly and only has shoes on the front.

Thanks,
Dan McCarty

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #2  
Most, if not all, of the problems we've had with our horses 'limping' have been related to the hooves. Have you had a good farrier inspect the horse?

I just read Rich's response and agree 100% that it might come to having a vet see the horse. Since our farrier is at our place more often than the vet (plus the farrier lives near us), we ask him to evaluate as well.

Concerning the vet...you can save money if there are a number of people in your area with horses by coordinating the vet visit so there's only one house call charge.

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #3  
Dan, there are so many possiblities that could cause a limp, obviously starting with the hoofs. You need to have the horse looked at by a good equine vet. Unfortunately, there's no way around that.

Rich
"What a long strange trip it's been."

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump...
Rich and Mike,

We had a vet and a ferrier looking at the horse a couple of months back because of the earlier problem that WAS hoof related. I'll have to ask the wife check the specifics but I thought the read hoofs where ok.

The stable owners are saying they think the problem MIGHT be arthritis but they say we need a vet to check for sure.

Thanks,
Dan

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #5  
How old is the horse?

Mike,

I think the horse is around 12-14 years old.

I was trying to get my wife to register on TBN and ask the question since I only know bits and pieces of what is going on with the horse.

Later....
Dan

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #7  
Dan,

We had a palomino (the first horse we ever bought) that had arthritis, but it developed when she was older than 14. I'm not sure how to describe what our horse looked like when walking with arthritis. However, eventually we had to stop riding her. After a few years, she had trouble getting up, if she laid down. This past summer, she had laid down in her stall, had trouble getting up and in her thrashing, kicked the lower part of the stall door (dutch door - not the sliding stall door) off it's hinges. Fortunately, she did not hurt herself, but this was the incident that got my wife to make the hard decision to have her put down.

I will send you our phone number. It might be good for our wives to discuss this, as long as they promise to not discuss tractor-related issues! /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

Mike,

Thanks for the info and the phone number. I'll talk to my wife and get her to call your wife. We won't be able to do this for a couple of days since company is arriving this afternoon...

I'm afraid the ending of your first horse might be our ending as well.

The people selling the horse said the only way the know to price the horse at this point is what she would bring if sold at the slaughter house.... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Which happens to be $800. The man that made the offer of $500 lives near the slaughter house and I think I know what he has in mind.... /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif Course I'm not telling the wife....

Thanks!
Dan

Mike,

The wife accepted a contract on the horse this weekend. He knows of the horse's problem and is paying accordingly. He wants her as a brood mare not for riding and he might get lucky that the problem goes away or is easy/cheap to treat.

It got down to a money issue and selling was the best thing to do at this point. She also sold her saddle yesterday. Got almost twice as much for the saddle as for the horse.....

Thanks for the phone number and the offer of having the wifes talk. Though that is kinda dangerous! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks Again,
Dan

/ Horse Has New Pain In Rump... #10  
Dan,
Sorry about all the problems with your horse but it is really about the way things go with horses. When people buy horses they seldom think about everything that can go wrong. Horses are not cheap to keep. Most people only think about how much is it going to cost to feed this horse. Well there is so much more to caring for horses that people don't even realize. You have to feed them just right, they have to have regular hoof care, worming, vaccinations yearly, etc., etc. If you can do all this yourself you won't be out alot but time. But if you have to have someone do all this for you it does cost. And like you've found out from time to time they do get some serious problems. To me horses are the best animal in the world to own but people too often find out just what it takes to own one and take care of them the hard way. Alot of people will just let horses go after awhile instead of putting more money into them. That's sad. Glad things worked out for you. Just wanted to post a little heads up for other people in the same situation or thinking about owning horses.