Gasoline Smell

/ Gasoline Smell #1  

Joe_W

Silver Member
Tractor
2001 Kubota B2910
Does anyone have a secret potion for removing gasoline smell from your body. I had to work on the filler neck of my 41 Ford this afternoon, and had gas running down my arm clear to my armpit (not a pleasant experience). I tried 5 different soaps, and even lemon extract, and I still smell like gas. In my youth I don't remember gasoline smelling this bad. It seems like it would evaporate quicker and fairly completely not leaving this much stink behind. Thanks for any ideas.

Joe W.

/ Gasoline Smell #2  
My folks used to use tomato juice to remove pretty much any kind of smell. I think it works, but you have to like the smell of tomator juice better than the one you're trying to get rid of. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif (Fortunately, though, it's a lot easier to get rid of the tomato juice than whatever you used it to get rid of... /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

/ Gasoline Smell #3  
Can't help, but I sympathize. My son carried gas in the back seat of our car, leaving the top off the can. Spilled on back floor. It was 5 months before the smell went away. I was using the car that winter to commute 2+ hours per day and just about passed out from the fumes every day. Had to open the windows and sunroof in the middle of the winter.

/ Gasoline Smell #4  
Joe,
The closes thing I found has been Broax soap.
Most auto stores carry a heavy soap lines.
Hope you don't smoke as you drive.

/ Gasoline Smell #5  
I've had pretty good luck with the GOJO hand cleaner products. Leaves a nice orange scent.

/ Gasoline Smell #6  
I use a citrus hand cleaner.

/ Gasoline Smell #7  
Joe, a long time ago the same question was asked about how to get the smell of diesel out of your clothes. At that time, more than one person responded that "Simple Green" was the best thing. Well, just this past week, I bought a jug of the stuff at Sam's Club. Haven't used it yet, so don't know how good it is. My brother told me he took a spray bottle of the stuff (50%) mix and sprayed it all over his Kawasaki Mule, waited a few minutes, then hosed it off and said it did a beautiful job of cleaning that. Naturally, if you can believe the label, it's septic safe and will clean anything and everything./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Gasoline Smell
I thank you all for your suggestions. I have some citrus hand cleaner out in the garage, but of course I had a "senior moment" and didn't think about that. One of the soaps that I used was Anco hand cleaner which is very similar to Boraxo, or about like cleaning your hands with scented sand. I think I will look at some of the citrus cleaners this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

Joe W.

PS. I got in about 5 hours of "seat time" (therapy) today due to the unusual weather we've been having. Boy it sure felt good. I was having so much fun that I didn't even mind the 30 minute shower, and didn't even stop for dinner. I guess I am a certifiable tractorholic.......not that that's a bad thing!!!!

/ Gasoline Smell #9  
Joe,

I hate the smell of gasoline too. I've found that Diesel fuel works great!

Seriously, now, tomato juice is great for gas and skunk smell.

Buck

/ Gasoline Smell #10  
Simple Green does work well as a degreaser. I use it on my motorcyles; the best thing I've found so far.

Whoever recommended diesel fuel as a means to remove the odor of gasoline is right on the money; it will.

But you'd better like the smell of diesel really well.