Tree Stump Killer

/ Tree Stump Killer #11  
Now you have a reason or excuse to buy a backhoe:D.

/ Tree Stump Killer #12  
Cut the stump off as low as possible, drill holes and add nitrogen rich fertilizer. Horse manure will also help. The decaying stump robs the surrounding soil of nitrogen, so fertilizer helps restore this nitrogen and keeps the rot process moveing along. If they put the ingredients on the stump rot product, it would probably have nitrogen as a primary active ingredient. After many months to a year of this, pile on the briquets and cook her below grade:) A barrel with both ends removed and air holes down near the bottom, placed over the stump will keep up a good chimney/draft on the coals and allow you to add more fuel and concentrate the heat of the fire/coals onto the stump. Some say soak in some kero or diesel fuel before you burn, but I don't think this helps much as the fuel will just vaporise and burn above the stump, transfering little of that heat energy into the stump.

Safe way to pull with cable and winch? leave the stump a bit taller for leverage. Dig and cut roots, as many as possible, particularly on the side opposite the pull. Soft ground helps also, if you can reach the dug area with a hose, all the better to soften things up. On the cable used for pulling, place something soft/bulky about mid span on the cable(heavy coat or horse blanket). Wire rope dosn't typically store too much energy. If you part a cable or loose your grip on the stump, this will help absorb the energy and direct the cable toward the ground.

Trees are strong in the horizontal axis as they resist wind all their lives. They are not typically as strong in the vertical axis. If you can get an old truck rim to run your cable up and over beside the stump, this will put a vertical component to your pull and help lift the stump up out of the ground.

Good Luck

/ Tree Stump Killer #13  
Okay, I might as well give you my opinion.:rolleyes:

After you cut the tree and apply Roundup like Moss suggested, drill a bunch of holes in the center of the stump and put in powdered confectioner's sugar. This will attract what causes the stump to rot - bacteria. That's all that high-dollar stuff mainly is. They charge you an outrageous price for sugar.

/ Tree Stump Killer #14  
Thanks for the tips, i cut a lot of dead standing trees the last couple of years, and left them a bit higher in case i could get a backhoe. I rented a skidsteer but i had too many other jobs to do and couldnt get to the stumps in time. there is something called a (somehting something)block i think that i have seen loggers use, but i wasnt sure what it actually did.
powdered confectioner's sugar is just highly refined sugar or is it something different.
Thanks
Forgeblast

/ Tree Stump Killer #15  
I use the concentrated form of Roundup. Paint it on the stump liberally. Should be applied timely after cutting the tree. If the stump surface starts to dry out/harden, it wont draw it down into the roots. Has worked for me. Concentrate comes in two strengths, get the more concentrated/expensive one.
penokee

/ Tree Stump Killer #16  
1. Cut stump as low as possible with chainsaw.
2. Throw an old car tire around stump.
3. Douse with diesel fuel.
4. Stand back and light.
5. Let burn
6. Repeat if necessary.

Not environmentally friendly (soot and smoke), but you'd have to burn several hundred old tires to equal the pollution of the burnt JetA-1 from one airline flight from LA to NY:rolleyes:

/ Tree Stump Killer #17  
koziol41 said:
I have a few trees to cut down this spring not big ones maybe 6-7" in dia.Does any one know of a good stump killer? My plan was to drill a hole in the stump with a spade bit and pour the killer in the hole. Any thing i can make ay home?I guess i can burn them but would rather do it as planned.Thanks for the help

Pay the $150 to grind them...

That being said, I have pushed them over w/ my tractor, and pulled the remaining roots w/ my loader...I guess it depends on your equipment and whether or not you live in a rain forest like me...:D

/ Tree Stump Killer #18  
Heard somewhere that "powdered milk" does the job.

mark