Tree Stump Killer

/ Tree Stump Killer #1  

koziol41

I have a few trees to cut down this spring not big ones maybe 6-7" in dia.Does any one know of a good stump killer? My plan was to drill a hole in the stump with a spade bit and pour the killer in the hole. Any thing i can make ay home?I guess i can burn them but would rather do it as planned.Thanks for the help

/ Tree Stump Killer #2  
Swimming pool chlorine but it will take awhile and you have to keep adding it and it's about $2 per gallon
Jim:)

/ Tree Stump Killer #3  
Are you looking for something to keep it from re-sprouting the way gums and locusts do or are you looking for something to rot the stump out?

For killing it, just paint undiluted Brush-B- Gone on it as soon as you cut it.

For rotting it, I think there are some homemade conncoctions. Not sure they really work any better than time.

/ Tree Stump Killer
Yes just want to rot the stump out!

/ Tree Stump Killer #5  
Take your Chain Saw and cut a bunch of deep lines into the stump. As deep as you can, as many as you can.

Then pile bags of charcoal briquets on top of the stump and burn it for as long as possible. You want a big pile of charcoal so pile as many as you can. Don't buy the fancy stuff unless you plan to roast some hotdogs while the fire is burning.

The Stump Killer stuff is useless.

/ Tree Stump Killer #6  
Buy some roundup.
Get a detergent bottle and label it ROUNDUP!
Pour in some roundup.
As soon as you cut the stump, squeeze the roundup on the outside edge of the stump where the bark meets the wood. Apply liberally.
Stump will die.
Poor stump. :(

/ Tree Stump Killer #7  
MossRoad said:
Stump will die.
Poor stump. :(

Nothin like a little Moss humor in the afternoon ! ;) :)

/ Tree Stump Killer #8  
koziol41 said:
Yes just want to rot the stump out!

We have used "Stump Rot". It is a powder that comes in a jar. Drill some holes, or plung a chain saw a few times, in to the stump. Pour the powder in the holes, and dampen. It accelerates the rot. Worked well for us.

I think though, that the simple act of drilling a bunch of deep holes, or making multiple plunge cuts with a chain saw, helps as much as anything. It gives more surface area exposed to oxygen, which helps all the little natural microbes and bacteria.

Here are a couple interesting insights...
ALTERNATIVE STUMP REMOVAL
ProgressiveFarmer.com: [Homes & Gardens Article]
<b>Tree Stump Troubles</b>

/ Tree Stump Killer #9  
is there a safe way to pull them out using your truck and a winch? or is a person just asking for a broken window?

/ Tree Stump Killer #10  
forgeblast said:
is there a safe way to pull them out using your truck and a winch? or is a person just asking for a broken window?

Lots of digging and root cutting..