Fungus on Plum tree help

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
Hi guys, in our new orchard I noticed that almost all of plum trees have some sort of black fungus on them. It appears to have killed the trees the fungus is on so if anyone can tell me what it is or how to kill it to save the few trees left I would appreciate it.

I have pictures but I can not post them. If someone could post them for me just contact me with your e-mail address and I will send them to you.

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #2  
I have hard, black growth on some of my plum and other trees. My arborist buddy said it was Blacknot. He said it was not worth it to remove it since they are low priority trees to me. I can check into it more unless someone else chimes in.

Larry

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #4  
We have lots of wild plums around here. None of mine ever make any plums and they all seem to be covered with fungus. If I saw a plum on one my first thought would be : "hey, there's a plum on my fungus tree!":D

/ Fungus on Plum tree help
Thanks guys. These plum trees use to be great. We would pick quite a few baskets of plums from the 20 some odd plum trees there were. Now there are only a few unaffected so I want to save them if I can. Thanks again.

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #7  
Robert, Blacknot is a problem in WNY. I lost all my plums to it. It also can be found in other stone fruits as well, but plums seem to get it the worst. You can prune it out but in most cases it will only come back. IF YOU DO DECIDE TO PRUNE IT OUT, CLEAN THE PRUNNER BETWEEN EACH CUT WITH A 10% solution of bleach or you will spread the disease.

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #8  
Black knot is a problem up here too. In fact, you can't even buy plum trees in most parts of the province for fear of it spreading.

*Cut the affected branches out,
* do the bleach solution as previously suggested to avoid cross-contamination, and
*don't burn the branches, the residue from burning will also spread it around.

I got mine under control finally by continuously pruning over 3 or 4 years. It still comes back in little areas, but it's manageable.

/ Fungus on Plum tree help
What should I do with the infected branches after I cut them then if I can't burn them?

/ Fungus on Plum tree help #10  
Robert_in_NY said:
What should I do with the infected branches after I cut them then if I can't burn them?

That's the million dollar question. I only had 2 plum trees so I just cut them up and set them out with the trash.