Ground Cover Suggestions

/ Ground Cover Suggestions #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
I need a good ground cover for about 3 acres of my river bottom. Due to house construction which I plan on doing as much as possible myself I am not sure how much I will be able to crop this summer and I will not have time to keep it mowed.

I do plan on putting in 1-2 acres of pumpkins and fall crops but will not plant this until late May-Mid June.

I need a good ground cover for about 3+acres to keep weeds from establishing. I need something I can sow with a fertilizer spreader. I have thought about sowing sunflowers. Just buying the blackoil seed used for bird feeders. I tried some last year on 1/2 acre and they seemed to grow thick and hold the weeds down. I can spread these with the fertilizer spreader and drag a chain link fench over to cover. And the cost for the seed would not be that high...I think. I am thinking 250-300lbs at @ $13.00 50lb bag. And they would be good for the wildlife and bring in more bees for pollination of the pumpkins.

Also thought about clover, wheat, and rye. But I have never had to plant a ground cover. Thought about getting the neighbors seeder and planting the entire bottom in field corn, but the crows are terrible.

Any suggestions on a good low cost ground cover?

/ Ground Cover Suggestions #2  
Brown Top Millet or Dove Proso Millet would do the trick and provide for a dove shoot in the fall. Spread with cone spreader, lightly disk, and add a little N when it gets about 8" tall.

/ Ground Cover Suggestions
redlevel,

I am not familiar with Millet. I imagine it has a seed head or pod. I will check my local farm supply and see if they have anything like it.

Is it a thick ground cover that will keep the weeds down?

Thanks,
David