mystery plant

/ mystery plant #1  

schmism

Tractor
New holland TC(33)
props to whoever can name this plant that is sprouting out of my front yard....

didnt see it last year (we got the property in aug)

rhubarb? the asparagus isnt up yet...

(note the fullsize is a BIG pic to get full detail)

and yes, the mower deck is going back on the tractor this weekend ..... i was hopeing to put it off for another week or 2 but with the 20deg above temp for the past week... grass is going nuts!

/ mystery plant #2  
It is a flower, I have many growing in my yard and actually raise some to sell.

They are called...

Well dang it I can't think of the name...and I grow them...I'll get back to you shortly with the name.

But it will grow into a small type bush with green leaves till late Fall. Large flower heads in Spring with most of the flower heads being big enough that the stem cannot support their weight.

Best to replant in Winter, say Jan-Feb. Have tubers that can be seperated and replanted. You do not have to dig them up every year, just let them stay in the ground cover with a little mulch or compost to prevent frost from burning the early growth.

I'll take 4 props.

Last edited:
   / mystery plant #3  
Ahhhhhhhhhhh

They are Paeonia flowers and can be expensive for flowers.

Do a search online for Paeonia, there are many different verieties so you may have to wait until it blooms to know which you have.

We currently have around 300 plants and I will try and split them next winter and since it has been a few years I could get as many as 1500 plants out of the tubers.

Currently we sale them for cut flowers only. But after I split these next year we will start selling a limited number of plants, 250 - 500. Then in 2-3 years split the 1000 plants into about 3000-5000.
This is just one of the many different things we are trying to get established on the farm.

I just can't believe I forgot the name:eek: :eek:

/ mystery plant
hunterridgefarm said:
This is just one of the many different things we are trying to get established on the farm.

really... ive got about a million suprise lilliys in the front yard... (also called naked lillies)

we are trying to move a majority of them as they are currently planted ontop of what will be the drain feild for the new spetic so i dont want them all distroyed in the process of putting that in.

this is one of the 2 beds in the front yard (the green things at the bottom of the pic)

/ mystery plant #5  
Yeah,looks like peonies to me to,,got several in my yard,,they are planted along edge of drive way,,,in a row,,cause they grow and flower over two months or more,,,you can move it this fall,seperate the root up and replant someplace out of the way,,,thingy,,,nice smelling flowers,,,

/ mystery plant #6  
thingy said:
Yeah,looks like peonies to me to,,got several in my yard
That is exactly what it looks like to me. And those are pretty expensive plants so you might want to mow around it until you determine if they are peonies. :)

/ mystery plant #7  
I didn't know they was expensive,,I'll have to put mine up for sale than,,whata ya reckon I could get for one of them? thingy

/ mystery plant #8  
thingy said:
I didn't know they was expensive,,I'll have to put mine up for sale than,,whata ya reckon I could get for one of them? thingy
In my area I've seen small peony plants, with no pedigree information, sell for $5.00 each. Big plants for $20 to $25.

/ mystery plant #9  
Well looks like I can pay off our trailer now! Might even have enough left over to buy my little girl a bag a beans to play with,,,,yee-haa,,,thingy

/ mystery plant #10  
Bob_Skurka said:
In my area I've seen small peony plants, with no pedigree information, sell for $5.00 each. Big plants for $20 to $25.

Pedigree information on a FLOWER? WTF? You mean people actually want to know the history behind the flower, who grew it last, what cutting/seed pod it came from? On a FLOWER? You've got to be *$%^^ing me????

Must be a "high-class" flower. I'm not knocking it or the hobby, I'm just shocked. All this time I've been buying flowers, garnishments, shrubs, trees etc. by their look...(are they going to make it, etc.). Next time, I'll tell the owner of the nursery I want to see a pedigree chart on that oak tree before I purchase. ;)