tornados and severe storms

/ tornados and severe storms #1  

mechanic

Silver Member
Hi all
I'm from the good old state of Colorado and lived there all my life the moved out to Missouri about 6 years ago. Since being here these years I am thinking more and more about going back to Colorado. We live out in the country here in Missouri and see more severe storms here in my 6 years than all my other years in Colorado. When ever they predict severe storms I can't sleep at night for fear something will sneak up on us. Lighting drives me crazy and the heavy rains drive me up the wall. During the summer months I can't work in my shop without sweating to death. Does anyone feel different about the weather in Colorado compared to the midwest?

/ tornados and severe storms #2  
What we need here is a good story about snow and ice. The best life would be to move every six months following your favorite weather.

/ tornados and severe storms #3  
The heavy rain don't bother me at all.. lightning only semi bothers me 9 electrical damage ).. it's those 'damaging winds' that bother me!!

Soundguy

/ tornados and severe storms #4  
mechanic, well that is what basements are for! Int he old days they even called it the "storm celler"

I am convinced there is no one greatest place to live. If one state has fantastic weather, why then it will have poisonous snakes. if another state has very little poisonous animals you can bet there wil be snow...

States with too much water, states with not enough water each area of the country has its own unique charms.

/ tornados and severe storms #5  
The kid next door was scared to death of lightening. I move in next door, and spend half the night on a lot of occasions burning welding rods, making noise. His mother would tell him it was me, and it was alright, and he soon got over the lightening scare. It is all in what you are used to...
You couldn't give me Colorado as a place to live, due to the cold and snow, and lack of spring showers that make the afternoon cool down.
I'll stick with my hurricanes, and you can have your snow drifts.
David from jax

By the way, i used to love to see the mountains as I came across Colorado, watching them from Limon on 287 (i think that was the road). Sure were a pretty sight. I hauled a lot of beef out of Greely when Ameritruck was in business.
David from jax

/ tornados and severe storms #6  
We just drove around yesterday looking at tornado damage in our area (northern Indiana) from three or four years ago. It is still quite evident. As a kid living in the woods, I feared the wind more than any lightning, rain or snow. 46 years in Indiana and I have never personally seen a tornado, but been missed by them by less than two blocks on more occasions than I can recall. The reason I have never seen one is because I go in the basement and don't come out until it is over!

I think no matter where you live in the good ole' USA you will have some sort of random act of nature, be it flood, fire, wind, snow or earthquake to deal with.

/ tornados and severe storms #7  
When we lived in Maine, a snowblower was mandatory and we live in Florida and a generator is mandatory, like others have said, I don't think there is any place in the world that is NOT affected by some sort of weather, give that some thought
Jim:)

/ tornados and severe storms #8  
I grew up in Iowa and I know exactly want you are talking about. All four of my sisters live in a 50 mile radius of the Denver area. I think Colorado seems like a pretty nice place to live. Seems like it snows overnight, then usually it is melting away in the afternoon.(Except this last winter) Still have all four seasons, but not as muggy and hot as the midwest. How about those tornadoes anyways? We had a couple on the farm growing up, but they missed the house. Took out hog house roof, trees, fence, old barn, windmill. Lots of cleanup.

/ tornados and severe storms #9  
I have a guy in my office from Colorado. Never lived anyplace else until 2 years ago when he found himself in the Garden State. His comment to me, looking out the window, was why can't the weather stop changing? Rain at night, in the morning its foggy, noontime hot, nights get cold, then snow, wind, back to hot, all the time in the Northeast. They are suggesting snow showers this weekend here.

My response is, how boring is Colorado? Dry all the time? Nothing different? No need to visit Weather Underground? I like the weather. Lets me know the outside is still outside. Severe weather is a bit like a roller coaster, an adrenaline rush... provided it isn't TOO severe.

"The lightning there is peculiar; it is so convincing, that when it strikes a thing it doesn't leave enough of that thing behind for you to tell whether -- Well, you'd think it was something valuable, and a Congressman had been there."
- "The New England Weather", Mark Twain's Speeches

/ tornados and severe storms #10  
Anyone want some of my 125 degree plus temps and earthquakes?