I Bit the Bullet.....

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #1  

scott_vt

Tractor
1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A
Evenin Guys,
I know how everyone on TBN has heard me brag about how I split my wood by hand with my trusty 8 lb maul ! ;) Well I have been secretly waiting for a good deal on a used splitter and one finally came !:)
My buddy works part time down at Home Depot and every now and then they sell their rental units ! He called me up saturday and said they have a 25 ton unit with a 8 hp Honda motor thats going for $800. So I went down to look and being the thrifty guy I am I had a 10% off coupon also ao I got me a new to me splitter for $720 ! :)

Im driving home from work and notice someone had cut an old maple tree down not far from me all real knarly stuff I would normally not bother with but het I got a splitter now !!! It works great ! Just had to share. Im not throwing the maul away yet, you never now, I may need a backup ! ;)

Attachments

• MapleTestPieces.jpg
    MapleTestPieces.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 421
  • NewSplitter.jpg
    NewSplitter.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
   / I Bit the Bullet..... #2  
Nice tractor...is that a Cub or an "A"? Nice splitter, too.

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #3  
Evening Scotty,

Nice spitter and tractor... you would probably hate me for what I just did on my Farmall C, I duct taped the genny belt to get me by for another year! Belt is pretty much toast.

mark

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #4  
Nice score on the splitter !

The question you will be asking yourself is why didn't I do this a long time ago. I've been heating the house with just wood for the last 33 heating seasons, in New Hampshire the heating season lasts a while. Two years ago I purchased a wood splitter.

I liked to split wood with a maul one can take the frustrations of the day out on the wood pile and accomplish quite a bit. Once I started using the splitter I really like to split wood now. You will too I bet.

Just remember to keep your hands and the hands of any one helping you out of the way.

Randy

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #5  
You might want to repack those wheel bearings on the splitter if you take it anywhere. I doubt that the rental yard has ever touched them since new. Just a thought.

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #6  
Does that splitter go vertical as well? Thats a decent lift height.

Great looking yard and tractor. :cool:

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #7  
When the pic appear I said WHAT no snow on the ground,than it hit me where you were posting from Scotty. ;)

Nice purchase,and as handy as you are should last life time.

/ I Bit the Bullet..... #8  
I went through the "I don't need no stinkin' splitter" phase. Then I got older.... Now I'm going through the "I'm tired of hoisting logs up on the splitter" phase. It never ends. ;)

Ya done good Scotty! That's less than half the price of a new splitter.

Oh yeah, the "Binder" looks mighty fine too!

/ I Bit the Bullet.....
Mornin Guys,
Yep Im really happy with this splitter so far ! Gotta chance to run some knotted up old maple through it last night and it sure beats using a wedge and sledge hammer ! ;)

CP, the tractor is a 49 Farmall Super A

Mark, I wouldnt hate you for using duct tape, but if I was there I would offer to do it right ! ;)

Catman, Im thinkin bearing buddies ! :)

RaT, yes this puppy goes vertical also for those big old bones !:)

Thomas, yep your right Ct !

Bill, I thought I would never be doin this but the old back is almost 56 ! ;)

BTW the guy told me there are only about 80 rental hours on this unit !:)