Poison Ivy

/ Poison Ivy #1  

jshbryan

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 3820i
I was clearing a fence row Friday and got into some poison ivy. This stuff has me itching and scratching like crazy. I have tried the topical creams and nothing seems to help for very long.

I wonder if any of you know any home remedies I could try.

/ Poison Ivy #2  
Mornin jshbryan,
You might try doing a search on poison ivy, I do remember a post last year where a bunch of home remedies were posted ! I normally dont get it myself but when I do get a small patch I have had good luck with Calamine solution, just keep applying it to keep it from blistering and dry.

/ Poison Ivy #3  
Calamine lotion was what we used when we were kids; terrible messy stuff. Many years ago, I found that the clear, less messy Ivy Dry worked better for me than the Calamine lotion. However, in some old posts on TBN, several people mentioned a very expensive medication that worked better, but I can't find those old posts right now.

/ Poison Ivy #4  
I get it so bad I go right to the doctor for a steroid shot/perscription. For me it becomes a systemic reaction so antihistimins help. But it's the steroid that knocks it out.

My wife doesn't get it so I stay on the tractor now.

-Brian

/ Poison Ivy #6  
I have to be very careful around any of that stuff (ivy, oak, sumac). It seems like I don't even have to touch it and I break out.

In addition to Calamine lotion, oatmeal baths helped me when I got into that stuff all over. Works on poison oak and sumac as well. It's a cheap and easy way to relieve the itch.

Blend about a cup of oatmeal (instant, quick oats, slow cooking oats, doesn't matter) on the highest setting until it's a fine powder. You can test your blend by stirring a tablespoon of it in a glass of warm water. If the oats readily absorb the water and give it a milky look and a silky feel, you've blended long enough.

Sprinkle the blended oats into a tub of running water and stir the water with your hand several times to ensure even distribution. Feel along the bottom of the tub for clumps and break up any you find.

BE CAREFUL! The tub will be quite slippery when getting in.
Soak in the tub for 15-20 minutes and pat dry with a soft towel rather than rubbing. You can do this several times a day if you need.

Good Luck.

/ Poison Ivy #7  
Benadryl capsules may help with some of the itching and help you sleep at night.....

/ Poison Ivy #8  
Ivy-Stat has a soap to wash the oil away and a steroid to stop the itching.

/ Poison Ivy #9  
Zanfel has worked wonders for me.

It is a topical scrub made just for Poison Ivy and Oak. A tube is a little pricey, costing about $32. Zanfel: Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac Treatment - Zanfel Poison Ivy Wash - Zanfel Laboratories

If you have a really bad case, injectable steroids what we use here at the Hospital. Some Doctors are reluctant to prescribe steroids because it can be very hard on your body and others prescribe them because they do provide speedy relief of the symptoms.

/ Poison Ivy #10  
Goats supposedly love p.i. If you have the fence, patience, etc. for them.