Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4710

Default Can you somehow dye herbicides?

Hey all, quick question. Can you somehow dye a herbicide? I'm spraying with my ATV, and it's hard to tell what I've gotten covered. I was thinking if I could use food coloring or some other dye to temporarily color the herbicide, it would help a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Josh
    Green 4710, 460 FEL, MX6, and many other things on the wish list.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC 40 A, AC 5020

Default Re: Can you somehow dye herbicides?

I use pond dye, I forget the proper name. It dissapears after not too long and a gallon goes a loong way. Get it at TSC
    Where Bob Wills is still the king.
    102 acres, and nothing but work! Wouldn't change it for anything.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    JD 3320

There are products that do this- one is brand name Hi-Light and can be found at agri-supply

ASC # 58691 Spray Indicator

Make sure the stuff mixes with whatever you are spraying, I mixed another brand of dye (it was meant for roundup only) with some 24D and the 24D precipitated out of solution. I checked it before filling my sprayer-what a mess that would have been.

It's commonly done, but I don't know just what dyes are used with what herbicides. I would think the place you buy the herbicide could probably tell you what dye to use. I know I had a neighbor who used a herbicide mixed with diesel to try to kill lots of small mesquite bushes and he had a real pretty blue/green dye in it so he could tell which bushes he'd already sprayed.
    Bird

Silver Member
    Tractor
    long 460, Mahindra 6500 fwd/FEL

I use ritz clothing dye, red normally, mixed with Remedy. But with a atv, its easy enough to come back a few days later and can see the plants you missed anyway...........cause you WILL miss some. :-)

Tractor
    Kubota L2800, 15 hp 372 Mitsubishi

Quote Originally Posted by swiftboot
    I use ritz clothing dye, red normally, mixed with Remedy. But with a atv, its easy enough to come back a few days later and can see the plants you missed anyway...........cause you WILL miss some. :-)
    And some new ones....

Gold Member

I use Dynamark U.V blue spray indicator made by Agrisolutions. It's pretty pricy so I only use it when I can't see my tire tracks to line up on. It does work well though. With an ATV sprayer though, you wouldn't need much. I get mine from my chemical supplier but Tractor Supply used to stock it. Check there.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TC40DA

boiler, i just saw this at Rural King store in Kendalville, IN. i think it is dyed and also foams if i'm not mistaken..

Silver Member
    Tractor
    TC40DA

ah! here's the web link..
    Rural King Farm and Home Internet Store

Tractor
    Kubota 5030HSTC

Absolutely, herbicides are dyed all the time,particularly for individual plant application use. Tractor Supply has dye, I believe any ag place selling herbicides will also have dye in stock... or can get it. I use a blue dye for my mesquite spraying.
    Joy is having the tools you need and needing the tools you have!

Kubota 5030 HSTC, BB, Danueser PHD, LA853 QA HD FEL w JD toothbar, 3pt chisel, 3 pt disk, 6' shredder, Kubota FEL hay spike, 3pt hay fork w carryall, Kubota RTV 1140

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast