Bad well casing

/ Bad well casing #1  

tawilson

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH2120 RTV500 Bobcat S250 Kubota U25s
Getting ready to open my campground and I found that my well casing has rusted to the point that it is falling apart. The pipe comes up through the well cap and I was taking the union apart to flush the well for a while. The well used to be inside the pump house with the chlorine treatment system and I think that was the reason it's in the condition it is. I'm going to dig down a foot or two today to see if it is ok underground.
Here's my question. Can well casings be replaced, or inserts put inside the existing one, or do I have to drill a new well?

/ Bad well casing #2  
My Father in Law was a well driller. And I remember him talking about replacing the casing all the time. And I think there was times when he just slid a PVC down inside the one already there. Some codes may restrick this but you may have to check with a local guy. But I think you might be on the right track with that chlorine. Digging down will tell you a lot.

murph

/ Bad well casing
Yep, it was the chlorine. Six inches under ground and I could beat on it with a 3 lb. hammer and not dent it. I scrounged a chunk of pipe from a buddy, and I'll weld it on this week. I'm glad I pulled the pump up. The inlet is clogged pretty bad from the rust so it's time to swap it out for the backup I have on hand. This pump is only a couple years old. I'm thinking that the shut down from October to April may be causing the sludge. I'm debating pulling the pump up every fall after winterizing, but it would be a extra chore in probably crappy weather, so I'll continue debating.

/ Bad well casing #4  
Thats good to hear it is only on the top. Won't be near as expensive as what you could be looking at.

/ Bad well casing #5  
Not sure but you may be able to pull the pump and use a suction line to pull out some of the debris sing a gas powered pump if you can get good suction, drop say a 2~3" PVC/POLY type solid line down there & suck out the rust?

as far as putting in new PVC casing not sure...

MarkM

/ Bad well casing
I had the fire department here a couple years ago when I had the pump up and had them flush out the well. Not a lot of stuff came out, unlike at my house when I did the same thing. I think the build up on the pump comes from the long winter layoff. After pulling the pump and removing it, I could see a lot of rust buildup inside the pipe coming up the well, which I flushed out.

/ Bad well casing #7  
tawilson said:
Yep, it was the chlorine. Six inches under ground and I could beat on it with a 3 lb. hammer and not dent it. I scrounged a chunk of pipe from a buddy, and I'll weld it on this week. I'm glad I pulled the pump up. The inlet is clogged pretty bad from the rust so it's time to swap it out for the backup I have on hand. This pump is only a couple years old. I'm thinking that the shut down from October to April may be causing the sludge. I'm debating pulling the pump up every fall after winterizing, but it would be a extra chore in probably crappy weather, so I'll continue debating.

About 10 years ago, we had a pitless adapter installed on our well. To do that, the casing had to be extended to above ground level. The pump guy cut a piece of casing, and attached it with a rubber sleeve with about 6 big hose clamps. Since it's underground the rubber isn't exposed to UV light, and should last almost indefinately.

You could certainly weld it though. I would do it with the pump out of the well if possible. It's amazing how easily you can destroy electrical equipment if you don't have a good ground when welding. The welding current will find a ground if it can!

Mike

/ Bad well casing
mwechtal said:
About 10 years ago, we had a pitless adapter installed on our well. To do that, the casing had to be extended to above ground level. The pump guy cut a piece of casing, and attached it with a rubber sleeve with about 6 big hose clamps. Since it's underground the rubber isn't exposed to UV light, and should last almost indefinately.

You could certainly weld it though. I would do it with the pump out of the well if possible. It's amazing how easily you can destroy electrical equipment if you don't have a good ground when welding. The welding current will find a ground if it can!

Mike
I've already pulled the pump and have the parts to put the backup pump in. I also have one of the couplings similar to what you described. I am also welding it to make sure it can't come apart do to frost heaving or someone bumping into it with a lawn tractor or something.