Lyme desease vaccine??

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #1  

RayH

Banned
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Who has gotten the human Lyme Desease vaccine?
My wife and I have been thinking about it. Its a series of three shots over a period of a year. We are wondering how common the use of the vaccine is. We are located in a high risk area. I know of several people and dogs that have contracted Lyme desease, but it seems that no one around here bothers with the vaccine so theres not much info locally. Can I have your thoughts on it?

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #3  
Hi Ray,

I am out in the woods a lot down here, and am very aware of the disease and have done a lot of reading up on it. When I go in for my physical each year, I always request a lyme test. So far, it has been negative, (although the standard test is not that accurate). Lyme disease is misdiagnosed a lot. Many kids with learning disorders have been diagnosed with lymes! Once you get it, antibotics will keep it in remission and it may be years for a noticable flairup. The lastest data says you can get it without having the telltale bulls-eye tick bite ring, and the tick can even drop off 10 minutes or less.

Many "hypochondriacs" with fibromylgia may have lyme's disease instead!

More good information: especially read the symptoms section and the chronic section...
Lyme Disease News Articles

Interesting articles by MD's about learning disabilities and emotional problems caused from lymes...
Neuropsychiatric Lyme Disease; Infections

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #4  
Dave, you are right about Lyme's being misdiagnosed a lot. But it goes both ways. The Lyme Titer is not a very specific or sensitive test. I've seen a lot of people diagnosed with Lyme's disease just because they had a positive test and some vague complaints. In our part of the country (I live in Rock Hill and grew up in Columbia) Lyme disease is much less common and much less serious than Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. I've been practicing in this state for 13 years and I've never seen a confirmed case of Lyme's Disease. The reason is that it is just not very common in hot southern climates. Lyme's is waaaay more common in the Northeast, North Central and Pacific coast regions of the US. Confirmed and well documented cases in the American south are quite uncommon. See this table:

DVBID: Cases by State 94 - 03 | CDC Lyme Disease

Tick bite prevention is important in this area because RMSF is not uncommon and can be life threatening. Having said that, I've pulled more ticks off me than I care to remember without ever suffering an illness.

Part of the problems associated with Lyme's are the varied, vague and non-specific symptoms associated with it. Combine that with a less than reliable test and you get lots of theories and suspicions about the disease and its association with other equally nebulous conditions like fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome and learning disabilities. To my knowledge the rates of learning disabilities, fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue are no higher in states with high rates of Lyme's disease than in states with low and almost non-existent rates like SC.

Bottom line is that if most of your tick contacts are in SC, there is not much need to worry about Lyme's and no need at all for expensive yearly tests that even if positive don't tell you much and may expose you to treatments and procedures that you don't need and could potentially hurt you and will absolutely hurt your wallet.

/ Lyme desease vaccine??
The links are appreciated. I was kinda looking for first hand knowledge of the vaccine and what those who have taken it feel about their decision. There doesnt seem to be many who have taken it.
Im fairly educated on the desease itself. I live in a high risk area. I live in the northeastern panhandle of WV, only a couple miles from Maryland and about 11 miles from PA, both of which rank the worst in the nation for the desease. I personally know of three people who have had it, to include a neighbor who lives just one house away from me. My next door neigbors dog, who lived in a pen in the back yard, died of it. So I know its here. Ive discussed the symptoms and treatment with those I know who have had it. It was misdiagnosed on one occation that I know of. I feel that if I get it, at least it wont be misdiagnosed because Im kinda waiting on it, if you know what I mean.
It sucks. I can remember when ticks were just discusting and not deadly. As a kid, I was constantly pulling them off me without even thinking about it. Now getting a tick is worse than unprotected sex. Of course, I remember when that wasnt a big deal either.

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #6  
Thanks George for your opinion and the added information about South Carolina. I did not know that SC was basically a no risk area for Lymes.

With Ray and where he lives...and the exposure risks higher I would think that the vaccine may be a good way to go. However, the information I have read about the vaccine is not too good. I believe the possible side effects may pose as many problems as the infection.

George...What is your opinion about the vaccine? I do some hiking up in the NE mountains on occasion and have thought about it, also. Is it risky...have they taken it off the market, etc? Is the human vaccine simular to the canine vaccine? If the human vaccine is risky, why not risky for our pets? Enquiring minds need to know...

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #7  
Dave, I don't know much of anything about the vaccine since it isn't in much demand here. The CDC is the best place for info on Lyme's disease:

DVBID: Home Page | CDC Lyme Disease

According to the CDC the vaccine was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2002 because of lack of demand. The CDC described the vaccine as safe and effective but says it is no longer available. If something has changed recently, I don't know about it, again, since there has never been any demand for it around here.

I think if I worked outdoors in New England and was prone to tick exposure, I'd consider the vaccine. But unfortunately it isn't an alternative.

/ Lyme desease vaccine??
N80 said:
According to the CDC the vaccine was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2002 because of lack of demand.

Ahhh, this would explain why I couldnt seem to find any current info on it. I was looking for some info on long term use and side effects, case studies and so forth, and its all pretty limited and dated. It makes more sense now.
Of all the outdoor types I know (mostly hunters and fishermen) I only know one person who has taken the vaccine and he is a state trooper. He said he would get tons of ticks on him by spending time in the median running radar. The state paid for his shots upon his request. That was a number of years ago though.

/ Lyme desease vaccine?? #9  
I have two friends that are avid hunters and got the vaccine a couple fo years ago. No side effects reported by either. I tried to get the vaccine a couple of years ago and wasn't able to b/c it was discontinued. Also heard reports that it wasn't that effective long term (no hard evidence though). MY new pup (who is a little over a year old) go the vaccine (just had the last shot a couple of weeks ago). She hasn't told me anything bad about it. I decided to get her the vaccine because she spends as much time as me in the woods.

/ Lyme desease vaccine??
archerynut said:
I have two friends that are avid hunters and got the vaccine a couple fo years ago. No side effects reported by either. I tried to get the vaccine a couple of years ago and wasn't able to b/c it was discontinued. Also heard reports that it wasn't that effective long term (no hard evidence though). MY new pup (who is a little over a year old) go the vaccine (just had the last shot a couple of weeks ago). She hasn't told me anything bad about it. I decided to get her the vaccine because she spends as much time as me in the woods.

My dog has been on the canine vaccine all his life. No complaints from him either. I doubt I could get the vet to stick me though.