First auction advice?

/ First auction advice? #1  

Harvster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
Going to my first auction for implements, tools, etc. Any advice on things to do or not to do?

/ First auction advice? #3  
Just be prepared, be prepared, be prepared ahead of time. I make a list of items I would look for at an auction and what the new price of each item is. I've been to many auctions and knew my maximum bid only to see the item sell for more than the cost of a new one. Too many people don't know how much an item costs new so know what new price is on an item you may bid on. I recently saw a 4 yr. old 24' gooseneck trailer sell at auction for $1200 more than a new one, and it needed repairs. Don't forget that at most auctions you will have to pay a buyers premium on top of your successful bid for an item. Most auctioneers charge a fee to the seller and buyer so figure that price onto your maximum bid. Some will also add a 3% fee if you pay by credit card.

/ First auction advice? #4  
leave money and checkbook at home, .... keep arms folded, mouth shut, eyes and ears open. ..... A fast auctioneer could have me bidding myself up if I ain't re-eeeal careful.

/ First auction advice? #5  
if theres a big crowd...leave right away.

/ First auction advice? #6  
If you are going after a particular item before even bidding make a high bid amoutn. Sometimes people just get going and before they know it they have bought almost new.

/ First auction advice? #7  
On my first auction I overbid myself, the auctioneer made a joke about it, everyone laughed, including me. It was fun. I had to run home and get my trailer to haul away my stash. I bought a 7' blade and a cultivator for about 75% price of of new one, if I could find one like the ones I bought. There were no "steals" that day, too many bidders. Just hope they don't start off bidding with the items you are looking for. One more thing, if the item you want to bid on is about ten items away don't chance going to the restroom.

The smug feeling you have when you outbid the guy next to you is worth the $20 for about 20 minutes.:D

/ First auction advice? #8  
ive come across a greater number of "deals" with yard sales then i have at auctions. not every yard sale will have implements or tractor equipment, but there are some and the people put a price on them just to get rid of them. check out your local newspaper classified section every week for yard sales near you. call them and ask them if they have whatever it is youre looking for. a couple times of doing this, theyve reffered me to a friend or person they know that are selling what i happen to be looking for, they just havent advertised it. there are other ways then just auctions, to find great deals on good equipment.

/ First auction advice? #9  
Don't be shy about inspecting an item real closely - being stealthy or appearing disinterested means nothing. Sometimes you can't always see those broken welds and cracks just by giving it a walk-by, and it saves you some pain later on.

Just like everyone else, I shop for new prices and discount according to age and condition. I have also gone to auctions with no intent of buying anything, but using it as a test to see what the going prices are for implements in my area.

Best advice is to buy it when you don't really need it. Then you never get your shorts all knotted up about winning a bid because you "just gotta have it now". Takes away the buy-it-now pressures, and you never usually overbid on something you don't plan to use for another 6 months. If the bidding is making this a pretty good deal and you know you'll need (want) that item for Spring planting / Fall harvesting, etc....then have at it and low ball your bids because you have plenty of time and other auctions to attend in the mean time - right?

/ First auction advice? #10  
George2615 and Champy are right on the money...

Remember normally, anything you buy at an auction is ASIS...no warranty...so look REAL CLOSE:)