There truly is such a thing as a dumb ?

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #1  

Jimbrown

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI LK30
OK it is 13 miles of dirt road from my house to Tombstone. Today I head for town. I get about ¾ way there and come across a rent-a –car stopped in the middle of the road and some guy standing next to it. He flags me down.
Me. What can do for you?
Him. Ahh how far to this rattlesnake place that is supposed to be out here. There is a rather distinct easily recognized accent.

Note. The rattlesnake place is a favorite tourist site in the area.

Me. It’s 9 miles straight down the road.
Him. Ahh How far is nine miles?
Me. Ahh you are from New York City ain’t ya.

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #2  
Quick, get him to sign an autograph for you... it's sure to be rare since he won't be around much longer out there:rolleyes:

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #3  
I asked a guy (one of our drivers/warehouse guys) if the fax went through in my office (I was outside looking at something). He came back and told me no, it didn't go through.

I go back in (important information) and look, sure enough the paper looks like it fed through the fax machine. I ask him if the paper fed through the machine, and he told me yes, he could see the paper feeding all the way through.

I then ask him why he told me he thought the fax didn't go through. He looks at me with a straight face and tells me "well, because the paper is still here, isn't it?"

I just looked at him somewhat dumbfounded.

He really thought that the paper would "teleport" over the line, and since the paper was still sitting on our fax machine, it couldn't of gone through.

I'm dead serious.

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #4  
A guy asked me when July the Fourth was one time.......

hud

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #6  
Hey, Jim.

Do you know Harry Hanes? He owns a house about two miles north of Tombstone. He's my wife's uncle. He used to be real active in the street performing group, but now he pretty much travels the world scuba diving.

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ?
Do you know Harry Hanes?

Sorry I do not. I actually live in the Ghost town of Gleeson 15 miles away.

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #8  
Sigarms said:
I asked a guy (one of our drivers/warehouse guys) if the fax went through in my office (I was outside looking at something). He came back and told me no, it didn't go through.

I go back in (important information) and look, sure enough the paper looks like it fed through the fax machine. I ask him if the paper fed through the machine, and he told me yes, he could see the paper feeding all the way through.

I then ask him why he told me he thought the fax didn't go through. He looks at me with a straight face and tells me "well, because the paper is still here, isn't it?"

I just looked at him somewhat dumbfounded.

He really thought that the paper would "teleport" over the line, and since the paper was still sitting on our fax machine, it couldn't of gone through.

I'm dead serious.
So you're saying you still have one of the antiquated "non-teleporting" fax machines? tsk-tsk......

I recall when fax technology was relatively new (very late 80s) and the county agency I worked for had a satellite office. One of our issues was paperwork...perhaps a total of 10-15 sheets per day....but important paper that needed to be in both locations. So they had a runner take copies out each day. One day, while meeting with the department head, I tried to explain the efficacy of purchasing a fax machine, and was met with..."but what will we do down here if the machine sends the paper out there?". And without batting an eye, I said....."We copy it here first"; it was easier than trying to explain how it actually worked. She never did grasp the concept, and in fact turned down the state a few years later when they offered to pay for PCs for our entire department as part of a move to upgrade communications.

I suspect we could go on for ever re: technologically challenged individuals.

I have given directions to people (and I am exceedingly concise and clear when giving directions) and having them ask, "well now, is that my right or your right?"

/ There truly is such a thing as a dumb ? #9  
Left, right?

That's why there are the terms Port and starboard!:D Right.