Ticks

/ Ticks #11  
randy41 said:
i pulled 2 off of myself today.....my wife offered to frontline me.

thats a good idea...

On a semi-serious note - what is a good repellant for ticks and humans? Will normal bug spray sprayed on your legs/pants legs/socks work?

thanks

brian

/ Ticks
thatguy said:
thats a good idea...

On a semi-serious note - what is a good repellant for ticks and humans? Will normal bug spray sprayed on your legs/pants legs/socks work?

thanks

brian
Are you trying to repel ticks and humans? Trying to borrow money will generally repel most humans:) Seriously, I have had good luck with DEET. If I slather myself with it not a tick to be found.
I have had at least one or two a day walking the dogs through the woods. If I spray my shoes/socks and legs knee high with DEET, not a one.

John

/ Ticks #13  
I have 25 hounds and ticks can be a problem. Best thing I've found to keep them off is Python cattle tags zip-tied around the collar. I've never found a tick on a dog with tag attached.

The tags are by far the most economical solution for me with so many hounds, a box of 20 cost less than $30 and a tag last a year or more.

I tried frontline on the 2 family dogs a few weeks ago and they stay covered with ticks. Tomorrow I'm heading to TSC for some more tags.

/ Ticks #14  
Guineas. I've heard they get rid of ticks, but the dog's don't like a chicken tied around their neck.:D Seriously, I have heard they eat ticks, if you can let them free range.

/ Ticks #15  
thatguy said:

If you can mow the weeds/brush/grass down that the dogs/you are walking in that can help. I need to mow some areas that have grown up near the house that the dog wonders into. The wife found two tick walking on her last night and I found one on my arm. I had my arm on the back rest on the couch. The tick had climbed off the dog and then way up on the coach waiting for a victim. Me.

None of us has been where the ticks could get us. The ticks just rode in on the dog. The dog has Frontline but as has been said its not a repellent.

When I work outside in Tick/Chigger season, I either spray with DEET or I treat the work clothes with Permithren. Permithren will last through the season even after multiple washings. Lately I have been lazy and just sprayed with DEET. The higher the percentage the better. And I buy whatever is cheaper at the box store. It works fine.

I have thought of spraying the dog with DEET but then the we would have DEET all over us from playing with the dog....

Later,
Dan

/ Ticks #16  
like "BTDT" said, Guineas are voracious eaters of ticks, it's their delicacy.. i'm going to get some. there was a article on them in hobbyfarms magazine (the one with them on the cover). they roam and eat very very fast, covering much more ground than other chickens.... they caution to get them as small chicks or they may march down your driveway and head to their old home.. (or at least try!)

/ Ticks
Skerby said:
like "BTDT" said, Guineas are voracious eaters of ticks, it's their delicacy.. i'm going to get some. there was a article on them in hobbyfarms magazine (the one with them on the cover). they roam and eat very very fast, covering much more ground than other chickens.... they caution to get them as small chicks or they may march down your driveway and head to their old home.. (or at least try!)
That's where the old "why do they cross the road" joke came from. They are just trying to get back to the house. I get it. :)

John

/ Ticks #18  
I pulled off 10 ticks after working on the new fence all day Saturday. It is as bad as I can recall.

/ Ticks #19  
It's pretty bad here too in Virginia. I pulled 10 ticks off of my cat last week that I treat with Front Line Plus, 4 adults and 6 smaller ones. I thought about getting some Guinea fowl to patrol the area, but with multiple cats living on my property, I don't think they would get along. I found some good general information about ticks and fowl Guinea/Chickens, here: Raising Guinea Fowl as tick predators to control Lyme Disease

Jim

/ Ticks #20  
While planting seeds into peat pots last week in the greenhouse, it was not unusual to find 12 to 15 ticks on myself by the end of the day.

The wood chips on the floor seemed like such a good idea at the time.