Ticks

/ Ticks #1  

NewToy

Veteran Member
Tractor
'05 Farmtrac 270DTC
Has anyone noticed this as a banner year for ticks? I use Frontline Plus on my two dogs so they have been tick free but I have picked several off the neighbor dogs that frequent our front porch. I finally broke down and applied the Frontline to two of the visiting dogs with whom I know the owners well enough to let them know so they will not also apply and O D their dogs on the stuff. After working in the field or just taking our afternoon walk I almost always have one or two on myself. I cannot praise this Frontline stuff enough as it keeps my rather adventurous dogs tick free for 4-6 weeks with a single application. It is a bit costly to treat all the neighbor dogs but I can't stand to see them covered with those miserable creatures.

John

/ Ticks #2  
Long Island, NY: Sandy soil & mild winters have allowed our tick population to skyrocket in the last few years. We have deer, dog and now Texas Lone Star ticks to the point where I pick up one or two just walking the dog in our back yard.

If you are concerned about Lyme Disease check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention web site for factual information.

/ Ticks #3  
It's so hot and dry in fl.. i think it is keeping them under control. havn't see my 1st one yet.. I did expect to get a few this weekend while fencing thru some woods.. but luckilly didn't.

DID apply 'cutter' to my shoes, socks and legs, adn pants legs though.. musta helped I guess.

Soundguy

/ Ticks #4  
They have seemed less bad than usual here in my neck of SC. I've gotten a few 'seed' ticks of me, but no big adult ones at all. And I spent several hours in fishing in the long grass and weeds that border my pond yesterday. But, I did have some bug spray on.

I haven't had any chiggers yet this year either. But, its still early!

/ Ticks #5  
im using frontline.. but im getting ticks off the dog... I emailed frontline and they said it was not a repellant.. but in 24 to 48 hours any ticks that bite will die..

I havent seen ticks so bad in a long time... even a walk in the yard is a 'tick check' moment.. lol

Brian

/ Ticks #7  
Virginia got some good frost in February and I think we are mild - but dogs are on front line and I would really know. Cought one crawling on me thats all so far this year.

/ Ticks #8  
thatguy said:
im using frontline.. but im getting ticks off the dog... I emailed frontline and they said it was not a repellant.. but in 24 to 48 hours any ticks that bite will die..

Brian

That's what most people forget... that Frontline is NOT a repellant and to work the ticks have to attach. I am a habitual tick picker. I can't help it. I find them and pluck them. All five of our dogs are frontlined, but my wife is the office manager of the vet clinic, so that helps a lot.... Worst part is that one of the five dogs sleeps in the bed and about once a year we find a live, unattached tick in the sheets.... Sheet go to the washing machine, regardless if it's 3 am or not, and I go to the couch... I hate ticks..lol

/ Ticks #9  
i pulled 2 off of myself today.....my wife offered to frontline me.

/ Ticks #10  
So far, I have only found one on my wife here in Md. The wife has been doing a little research for the Pup (1yr. 50lb)and is asking for sentinel which is good for heartworms as well as tick & fleas anybody else use it?