boat motor question

/ boat motor question #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
Not tractor related, but what the heck. I have a 97 Force 40 hp 2 stroke. I start and seems to run fine, but is leaking some water in the main case. It is coming from the gasket just under the exaust port cover. If it is just the gasket, I figure it will be an easy fix by removing the gasket and coating it with RTV on each side and put it back on. My question is: Is there supposed to be water circulating under the exhaust port cover in a boat motor. If there is not supposed to be water there, I must have a major problem.

Last edited:
   / boat motor question
Here is a diagram. The red arrow is where it is leaking water. Should there be water in this area? I figure the gasket is there to hold water or fuel, not sure which. If the water was mixing with fuel, I would not think it would start so easy.
boatdiagram.jpg

/ boat motor question #3  
A Force 2 stroke relies on water to cool itself. Water is picked up in the lower unit, pumped up and circulates the engine block just like in a car. It then exits the engine as a hot stream of water. Fresh (new) water is constantly being sucked up. The cooling system is an open type and the only pressure comes from the water pump impeller.

Your leak is most likely a gasket problem. If you had been allowing water to enter the block, you would certainly know it. If you didn't have enough water circulating, you would now have a 400# anchor.

Be very careful seperating the aluminum parts. They scratch and gouge easily.