Feeding Squirrels....

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #1  

hudlow

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 790
.....is about all I do with my bird feeders. Shooting the little boogers is out of the question, unless someone has some easy and cheap plans for an effective silencer....

I've bought a couple of supposedly squirrel proof feeders but they only work until the squirrels figure them out.

What have you seen that will work to keep these bushy tailed rats out of my feeders?

Does anyone have any experience with the Yankee Flipper feeder? It supposedly starts spinning with the weight of a squirrel and flips the squirrel off the feeder.

It costs about $75 and I don't want to spend that kind of beer money on a squirrel feeder unless I get some feedback from actual users.

Thanks,

hud

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #2  
Have you tried shooting them with Flobert's? They are very very small 22 caliber bullets. The shell contains no powder, only the primer and is only about as loud as a toy cap gun. Not accurate at long ranges but they work great for me out of the bathroom window down to my feeding station.

P4030010.jpg

/ Feeding Squirrels....
DieselPower said:
Have you tried shooting them with Flobert's? They are very very small 22 caliber bullets. The shell contains no powder, only the primer and is only about as loud as a toy cap gun. Not accurate at long ranges but they work great for me out of the bathroom window down to my feeding station.

P4030010.jpg

I'd be shooting in the general direction of another residence. I just can't take the chance.

But I've been wanting to try that ammo out on my steel spinners in the backyard.

Thanks,

hud

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #4  
when i first moved into my house in STL city i eliminated nearly 30 long tailed limb rats in 2 months (out of my backyard) with a .22 pellet gun and scope.

I have the benifit of shooting out of my "bunker" walk out basement stair so missed shots dont wind up in neighbors windows.

the dogs go nuts when i pull out the pellet gun now..... ;)

live trap and a 5 gallon bucket of water works also

/ Feeding Squirrels....
Egon said:
How have you got your bird feeder set up or located?:D

Hanging off a pine limb in the front yard so I can watch it from the den.

hud

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #7  
If he gets to the feeder from above, you might try this: Take a garbage can lid or one of those slider disks kids use to slide down hills on snow and put it above your feeder, convex side up. If has to be big enough so that when it tips on it's side, it shields the feeder. When the squirrel gets on it, it tilts to the side he is on & he slides off onto the ground.

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #8  
Now that's a location the little varmint can jump too or come down the rope. About all I could suggest a feeder that closes with the squirrels weight.

I too had that problem with a bird feeder. Finally got it set on a metal post with a circle of flat metal under the feeder. Stopped the squirrels but gave the raccoons a nice ledge to sit on. The bear just pulled the feeder down, no messing with him.

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #9  
What works for me is one of the expensive steel auto-closing feeders (about $35, but they last forever), mounted on a steel pole with a large, loose, dome-shaped guard on the pole under the feeder. Once in the last 5-6 years we evidently had a generation of genetically superior squirrels that figured out how to hang by their claws from the lip on the top of the feeder and help themselves without putting any weight on the movable door. A RWS hi-power .177 cal pellet rifle is an absolutely instant and certain kill with a headshot. No more super-squirrels.

Jay

/ Feeding Squirrels.... #10  
But the video adds for the flipper feeder look hilareous. I'm tempted to cough up for one of them just for the entertainment!

- Jay