Ear Protection

/ Ear Protection #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
My tractor, with the engine in the rear, is a bit loud. I am thinking about getting some ear protection. One of the things i want, though is to play the ipod through the system.

I found a couple of "noise proof" headsets that can be wired to the ipod

Amazon.com: AO Safety WorkTunes i.3 AM/FM Hearing Protector, Silver and White #90569: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Peltor HRX52A-01347-BD-GV Racetunes AM/FM Radio Headset and 22 dB Reduction Hearing Protector with Audio Jack and Scanner Patch Cord: Home Improvement

I am really not sure of the true noise reduction of these. I have also mulled over either Senheiser or Bose noise cancelling headsets, as well as just regular over the ear head phones.

Love to hear anyones thoughts on this...
Carl

/ Ear Protection #2  
I use a set of the noise canceling headphones with my Ipod and it works great. The noise canceling headphones seem to allow me to play the Ipod at a lower volume and still hear the music, cranking up the music too loud defeats the whole purpose. Be sure to watch your cord, branches love to grab them.

/ Ear Protection #3  
No comments on those two, but I definitely encourage you to wear hearing protection. My JD is a bit loud; the one time I operated it for two hours without ear protection, I could feel it. Since then I use earmuffs (24db nrr) if I'm going to run it more than 5 minutes or so.

/ Ear Protection #4  
Mornin Carl,
As Z mentions, definitely wear hearing protection ! I started wearing protection late but better late than never ! I even use it on my garden tractor now cutting the grass around the house, its amazing how noisy that darn thing gets, your ears will thank you many years down the road ! ;)

/ Ear Protection
The Power Trac has a fantastic canopy of thick steel, extends over you and the a bit of the engine compartment. I think it also creates this level of additional noise by reflecting everything down.

I looked around last night for something more industrial. Not much luck, so I went to Amazon and looked at Noise Cancelling Headsets. Not OSHA approved but neither am I. I think I am going with this

Amazon.com: Philips HN 110 Folding Noise Canceling Headphones: Electronics

Carl

/ Ear Protection #6  
Afternoon Carl,
Those look like a good set ! When Im on the tractor runnin the bush hog I wear these, some station fade up in the mountains but not bad !;)

Attachments

• Headphones.JPG
    Headphones.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 233
   / Ear Protection #7  
scott_vt said:
Afternoon Carl,
Those look like a good set ! When Im on the tractor runnin the bush hog I wear these, some station fade up in the mountains but not bad !;)

Howdy Scott,

What brand are those if you don't mind my asking? I have a set of the Peltor "WorkTunes" that look a bit like yours, excepting mine are yellow and black. Yours appear to be a little higher quality, at least in the picture. I'm not overly impressed with mine, but I can still hear. I'd like to find a better grade, maybe with better reception.

/ Ear Protection #8  
Farmwithjunk said:
Howdy Scott,

What brand are those if you don't mind my asking? I have a set of the Peltor "WorkTunes" that look a bit like yours, excepting mine are yellow and black. Yours appear to be a little higher quality, at least in the picture. I'm not overly impressed with mine, but I can still hear. I'd like to find a better grade, maybe with better reception.

Hey Bill,
They are Bell and Howell, I got them through the Heartland USA catologue. If memory serves me I think they were on sale for $19.99. Up in the mountains I listen to Froggy 107.1 country ! ;)

/ Ear Protection #9  
scott_vt said:
Hey Bill,
They are Bell and Howell, I got them through the Heartland USA catologue. If memory serves me I think they were on sale for $19.99. Up in the mountains I listen to Froggy 107.1 country ! ;)

Hmmm. I paid $59 for the Peltors if my old decrepid brain is thinking straight.

My youngest daughter is a high tech junkie. I'm gonna start dropping hints as it gets closer to fathers day. A buddy here at work has a pair of Bose headphones. MAYBE.....?????? ;)

/ Ear Protection
Farmwithjunk said:
Hmmm. I paid $59 for the Peltors if my old decrepid brain is thinking straight.

My youngest daughter is a high tech junkie. I'm gonna start dropping hints as it gets closer to fathers day. A buddy here at work has a pair of Bose headphones. MAYBE.....?????? ;)

I have a pair of Bose... Really nice. But at $300 I would cry and cry if the cable got snagged and fell back into the mower. That is why the $50 pair sound good to me. Just wish someone would come up with a way to discard the cable... Wait, I have an idea... Will just have the wife sew a little pouch to the headsets. Put the Ipod Nano in that!!!!

Now someone is going to steal this idea and make a million...