Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 40A

Default Close friend had on heck of a close call

A friend/co-worker purchased my TC 30 from me last fall when I got a new TC 40. He has been using the TC 30 with his stump grinding business for about 6 months. On Monday, David was off work and he had one job for the day at a residence. David said he parked his pickup on a slight incline with the trailer pointing down the hill. He started unloading the Deutz (sp?) stump grinder off the trailer with the TC 30. David said he placed a small block of wood on the customer's asphalt drive so the stump grinder would not gouge the driveway. As David backed down the ramps the stump grinder caught on the piece of wood and the resistance pushed the grinder sideways. David said the incident happened so quick, he couldn't react.

David said he tried to pull forward, but he said the TC 30 was in Mid Range and it was only idling, so he only managed to push the gear lever forward (5th gear). The tractor stalled as soon as he let out on the clutch. David said the stump grinder jacked-knifed and started pulling the tractor sideways off the trailer. David didn't have on the seatbelt and he jumped off as the rear tires on the tractor were headed over the edge of the trailer.

The stump grinder came loose from the ball hitch and it over turned in the customer's yard. The bucket on the fel caught on the trailer and it stopped the tractor from flipping over. All said the air filter housing broke off the stump grinder and the rear fender on the tractor has a new character mark.

David has been operating tractors and farm equipment since he was a child. Another example of how quick things can go wrong. I talked to David about the incident tonight at shooting practice and he said he was still shaken.

Tractor
    Kubota L2800DT

Default Re: Close friend had on heck of a close call

Thanks for posting this.
    We all need to remember that no matter how proficient we become at using our machines and related equipment, the same powerful forces that accomplish so much work can kill or cripple in the blink of an eye.
    Kubota L3800HST, LA 463 FEL, Woods BH80-X backhoe, Befco 6' BB, Woods RM59, Woods LR72
    I work, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman
    Thanks for posting this.
    We all need to remember that no matter how proficient we become at using our machines and related equipment, the same powerful forces that accomplish so much work can kill or cripple in the blink of an eye.
    Amen.
    Bird

Bronze Member

If yer friend is still shaking I rec. breather from shooting practive glad to hear he wasn't injured....

Tractor
    Kubota, BX23

What could he have done to prevent this from happening in reguards to the wheel chalk?
    Anyway I am glad he's ok, and I bet you out shot him that night to boot.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC 40A

I think he should have parked his outfit at the bottom of the driveway, just off the roadway, where he said the terrain was close to level. I also think his attention to detail and his concern for his customer almost cost him here. I think he sould have found a better solution than a piece of wood. I think a large heavy duty rubber mat would serve him well.

I didn't explain the shooting practice. Five others and I shoot team matches in IPSC and IDPA (handgun competition), so we practice a lot. David did well at practice as I would expect him to do. I figure he spent the next few hours at home thinking about what if....and this is when the realization of the incident hit home.

Tractor
    Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL

Quote Originally Posted by Tollster
    What could he have done to prevent this from happening in reguards to the wheel chalk?
    Being in a lower gear might have saved the day since the tractor might not have stalled when he let the clutch out.
    George
    South Carolina

The size of government is inversely proprotional to the degree of freedom it affords.

"What is truth?" Pontius Pilate