TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #1  

Ryan03

Platinum Member
Tractor
Farmtrac DTC270, Kubota G5200hydro, Honda recon 250, Suzuki King Quad 450 4x4, 2003 2500 DMax/Allison 4x4
We had a realy close call today. I am a mechanic for a county government in Ohio and one of our roadside mower operators was involved in a very seriouse accident this afternoon. He was turning out of a roadside pulloff back onto the road after finishing his lunch, and he pulled into the path of a Dodge 3500 crew cab 4x4 dually doing 50+ MPH down a long steep grade. The right front corner of the ram struck the left front axle area of the TN70 fitted with a 7 ft alamo wing mower, and continued on to travel an additional 200 or so feet, striking a gaurdrail and barrell rolling over the rail, going down a steep ravine and finaly ending up laying on its driverside in a creek 35 feet down at the bottom of the ravine . The impact snapped the front axle of the TN70 in half, and actualy split the block, oil pan and crankshaft of the tractor in two!! The tractor was basicaly broken in half, all that was holding it together was the mangled subframe for the alamo wing mower. Amazingly, everybody walked away from this with minor bumps and bruises, and all were wearing their safety belts

Attachments

• TN70 vs ram 3500 2.jpg
    TN70 vs ram 3500 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 643
  • the ram.jpg
    the ram.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 743
  • tn70vs ram 3500 1.jpg
    tn70vs ram 3500 1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 551
  • TN70 vs ram 3500 tn70 engine block broken in half.jpg
    TN70 vs ram 3500 tn70 engine block broken in half.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 484
   / TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #2  
WOW...! Glad the report is good as far as injuries. That could have been a LOT worse. Thanks for sharing. A lesson to all.

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #3  
In all honesty I was expecting the photos to look much worse. Both vehicles seem to have held up pretty well given the stated speed. I wonder if the Dodge driver might have had time to slow a bit?

There was an accident in my area a month or two ago where a semi hit an older JD in the 80-100hp range (open platform, no idea which model or year)) and it broke literally into pieces - axles and wheels scattered. Farmer dead, trucker now facing charges of reckless driving. Sad sad story.

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4
The tractor actualy is damaged much worse than the photos show, is has a horse shoe type shape to it, the only reason that it is still together is the steel mower subfame. The ram did fare pretty well, although the trans also appears to be damaged due to the 5 or so gallons of atf in the creek. one thing that certainly helped it was the fact that it was a gas well support truck with a rather beefy custom mad max looking front winch bumper

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #5  
probibly cut a trans cooler line.... unlikely to have acutally did damage to the actuall trans.

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #6  
Ryan03 said:
one of our roadside mower operators was involved in a very seriouse accident this afternoon. He was turning out of a roadside pulloff back onto the road after finishing his lunch, and he pulled into the path of a Dodge

btw does said mower operator now find himself in a new line of work?

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4
schmism said:
btw does said mower operator now find himself in a new line of work?
As of right now no. This was his 3rd mower vs. vehicle accident in 2 mowing seasons, however the others were minor fender benders. The incident is under investigation, a hearing will probably be held with the operator and HR. person as well as our superintendent in the next week or so, at that time they will decide his fate. As of right now, he is on paid leave

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #8  
dayyyummmm
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I have both (well, had a Ram) now have a TN75 (same tractor)
and it's BEEFY, I mean it would take a LOT of force to break it

Everyone is very lucky to be alive
very.

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #9  
Gald everyone walked away ok . If this is his second ,he better be more careful the big one may be next

That's what you call RAM TUFF !!:D

/ TN70 vs. RAM 3500 dually 4x4 #10  
Nasty business!!! :eek: Glad everyone is okay. Because most of my work is residential... some in very high traffic areas where I have no choice but to pull my truck and trailer into fairly short often blind driveways to unload... I find myself backing out into traffic all the time with the red beast... usually without anyone to assist me. Folks typically see the big red backhoe slowly edging out and at some point someone will come to a complete stop for me... but this clearly shows you can take nothing for granted. :(

Dougster