NY woman dies in tractor accident

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #2  
I'd be very interested in knowing what kind of tractor she as running.

First, she had the loader high enough for the tree to roll down the loader frame. Although that seems too high, since we don't know the circumstances, it may not have been. Or, the tree may have been pushed down those loader arms by another tree or obstruction.
She was not wearing a seat belt, since the trunk of the tree knocked her out of the seat.

This is one of those incidents that should be analyzed. If that comes about, please post.

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #3  
Strange accident.

Picks up tree, tree rolls off bucket and hits her. I can see that happening. I have a cracked front grill because a small Hunk O Wood rolled out of the bucket.

Then the tree hits her. Ok. I can see that happening.

She is not wearing a seat belt so she gets knocked out of the seat and hits her head. Ok. I can see that happening as well.

But then the tractor goes another 100 feet before the tractor stops and crushes her. The story does not say how that happened.

Did the tractor hits a tree and just stop?
I thought she got knocked out of the tractor so how did she get 100 feet from the accident to get crushed?
Did she get hung up IN the tire or on a tractor control(s)?

Later,
Dan

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #4  
One also wonders if this lady may have been a TBNer or had asked advice on TBN...

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #5  
RoyJackson said:
One also wonders if this lady may have been a TBNer or had asked advice on TBN...

Mornin Roy,
Sad story indeed ! I would think that common sense would tell you not to lift a log up on the FEL high enough to have it roll down the arms at the operator ! But I have done some things that initially seemed OK only to be reminded that all it takes is a second for things to turn bad quickly !

My prayers to the family !

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #6  
This reminds me of something I saw several years ago on TV. A doctor who had a place in the country picked up a big round bale of hay too high and it rolled back onto him. It didn't knock him off the tractor, but pinned him to the seat and resulted in him becoming a paraplegic. So whether we have seat belts and ROPS or not, I guess we all know that raising something too high with the front end loader can have devastating consequences.

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #7  
Bird said:
This reminds me of something I saw several years ago on TV. A doctor who had a place in the country picked up a big round bale of hay too high and it rolled back onto him. It didn't knock him off the tractor, but pinned him to the seat and resulted in him becoming a paraplegic. So whether we have seat belts and ROPS or not, I guess we all know that raising something too high with the front end loader can have devastating consequences.

There has been one or two other reports of the same type of accident (round bales) on TBN since I've been a member.

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #8  
williekioti said:
Tragic accident in northern NY when a 54 y.o. woman was removing trees with a tractor. What a shame. Prayers for the family. Another reminder for us all to be careful out there.
This is exactly why I strongly prefer moving logs and similar awkward objects with my 66" root/rock grapple... this despite the fact that my 72" and 78" bucket sides are scouped to allow reasonably safe balancing of logs and such.

Dougster

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #9  
I have to admit that, in my inexperience, I have brought stuff up too high on the FEL that would have rolled back. I have been saved by my grapple often.

/ NY woman dies in tractor accident #10  
I second the grapple utilization.