the things you see

/ the things you see #11  
Not exactly related, but last week on the interstate I passed a woman holding a cigarette AND a cup of coffee in one hand, and was text messaging on her phone with the other hand. Neither hand was touching the steering wheel. I passed her quickly because she didn't seemed to understand the concept of staying in your lane.

/ the things you see #12  
That doesn't surprise me 40_acre. I passed a gal driving an econobox one day on I-76; she was driving 60 in a 75 MPH zone on a clear perfect weather day with little traffic. Why was she going slow? She was reading her paperback book. I called the State Patrol on that inDUHvidual.

Another time I was behind the wheel of my F-250, so I had a good view of the teen inDUHvidual in front of me at a busy intersection. When the light turned green, this guy was smoking a butt, yakking on the cell phone, yakking with his partner, trying to hang a left turn and shift a manual transmission at the same time. I passed him as fast as I could.

I tried talking my cell phone twice while driving and it scared the **** out of me. If I'm the road and I need to make a call, I "Park and talk." I'm a firm believer of "Hang up and drive" or "Park and talk."

/ the things you see #13  
Lug Nut,
From what you discribed, it could very easily have been me if on the other end of the country and a different brand of truck. My half ton Chevy is rated to pull a 7,500 pound trailer load. A sixty horsepower tractor (compact?) with mower on a dual axle trailer would be pushing it, to actually get it under 7500 pounds but might be done if on the each were on the lighter side.
When loaded within manufacturer's specifications the truck rear bumper does like to get up close and personal with mother earth. So low that I asked Chevy about installing overload springs to help maintain ride height. They actually agreed with me, but I never did it. I did add them to my last p/u but that is a lighter truck.
I guess what I am saying is that dispite the unsafe appearence of the combination, he really might well be (barely) within his limitations.
Crossing 3 lanes of traffic might well be his downfall, rather than the load.
David from jax

/ the things you see #14  
shane said:
I can imagine if you questioned him his relpy would be, "Aw, it'll be all right".

What's the problem, he made it into the parking lot without incident, didn't he?

Chains and tie downs are for sissies!

Bill Tolle

/ the things you see #15  
The things you see ...

Always look both ways before entering the intersection.

The lady in the Mustang convertible didn't. She turned left into the fuel tank of the red truck who was approaching at highway speed.

Red truck's right fuel tank burst when she hit it.

He jackknifed, and tore the axles off another guy's trailer as he tobogganed down the road in his own fuel slick. He, or a loose axle, also took out a Suburban.

Blue truck's driver was unhurt while the other three were pinned in the wreckage but talking, so apparently not seriously hurt.

I'll bet anything Miss Mustang was talking on the phone when she turned left.

Last edited:
   / the things you see #16  
well, I didn't see any wrecks yesterday, but I did see something very odd.

This was about 2:00 pm, bright sunny day, and this coyote looked bad. Think he had mange, cause they just trapped a black bear out of the area recently with it. I was shocked to see him in the middle of the field, braod daylight, ignore me, my tractor, and the running RFM. Something wrong with him. I normally carry a gun when cutting the field, cause you just run into stuff all the time. Hope this pic loads right.

Attachments

• 0901071400.jpg
    0901071400.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 334
   / the things you see #17  
Sorry, pics seems so far away, he was only about 22' away. took it with the cell phone. Have to keep my daughter out of the back yard til this one is dead. I was gonna try to hit him with the bucket on the tractor, and smush him flat, but gave it a second thought as the bucket cycles slowly.

/ the things you see #18  
One day I was mowing the weeds and I was working the area around my weather station sensors when I noticed a hawk perched on the crossbeam. I was amazed that the full throttle sound and noise of the Bush Hog didn't scare the bird off. I estimate I was about 15' to 20' from it.

I wished I had a cell phone camera that day.

/ the things you see #19  
After being more sensitized to safety issues here, last I week I noticed an NH UT ripping down the road under its own power coming towards me, but it looked funny from a distance.

Loader arms but no bucket? Nah, had pallet forks stuck out at a typical car's windshield height! :eek:

/ the things you see #20  
Not tractor related but...was running up I40 and got passed at higher speed by a minivan w/ both sliders open. The van looked brand new and it wasnt clear why they opted for open windows AND doors instead of using the AC. :D Aside from the 'adults' in the front the back was loaded w/ kids (in seat belts of course).