Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #1  

ToddW

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800 HST
From todays paper:

An elderly man died this morning in a farming accident when his tractor flipped over on top of him.

George Tucker, 78, was riding a red 1953 International tractor at his farm when a wheel fell off and the vehicle tipped over. His son rushed to try to free him, using another tractor to tow the huge piece of machinery off of his father, but it was too late, Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. John Herrell said.

Tucker died at the scene at his farm on West Loop Road near Groveland at about 8 a.m.

The father of four had lived with his wife at the farm for at least 30 years.

His family was tearful and shocked to hear about the accident.

"He was just my dad," said his daughter, Sandy Edwards. "He was very straight-forward and he just liked to hunt and fish, and he liked his grandkids. He just cared about his kids and his family."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/orl-bk-tractor082407,0,6900928.story

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #2  
Always sorry to hear about things like that. I guess we all need to be more careful. I wonder why he didn't detect the wheel problem, before it came off?
I lost a friend several weeks ago because of a roll over.

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #3  
This sort of tragedy is always sobering & drives home why our owner's manuals have so many check bolt torque safety statements.

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #4  
Coulda been an axle break.. and not had a nut/bolt problem. In any case.. it doesn't say. but i can't help but wonder if there was a hill or grade involved. I'm trying to imagine my 4 wheelers or even my trike with a front or rear wheel off.. So far, on flat ground i can't see one that would roll completely over, even if the axle trumpet broke right off at the center section.

I can't help but think there was a grade, or high speed, or a high speed turn ( outside wheel, front breaks in turn ).. or a loader with a heavy weight lifted, and speed, turn or slope. .. IE.. I'd like to see what aggravating condition was occuring at the same time..

soundguy

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #5  
No need for speed, hills or curves. When a rear wheel comes off, many tractors will roll instantly on flat ground. Many will flop with the loss of a front wheel. Could have been an axle or a rotten rim from calcium cloride damage.

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #6  
With no aggravating factors like speed or a hill...I'd like to see some pics of these many tractors rolling over on flat ground from a wheel falling off.

I've had wheels off most or all of my tractors.. including a trike, and let them set on the ground a couple times.. tractor never rolled over yet??? Like I said.. i'd like to see the exact situation that was in play... implements involved.. and movement/ direction.. etc..

I've seen at least a few wheel and axle breaks on tractors on flat land in this area.. mostly county tractors.. have involved or caused a few traffic crashes.. but no roll overs yet. not saying it can't happen.. but simply loosing a tire on a regualtr ag chassie tractor with no aggravating circumstances seems like a real 'bad' luck issue for the driver...

soundguy

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #7  
In the case of my friend here, he ran a wheel off a culvert that caused the tractor to flip. It was about dark, the tractor was old, and heavy, and did not have good lights so I understand. You could flip a stock car like that.

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #8  
Research in NSW shows some interesting stats with tractors. Most deaths occur from rolls / flops and are usually the result of less than dramatic circumstances:

90% occur at speeds of less than 8kph

75% of operators involved in accidents had more than 5 years experience on tractors

60% of all occurred on slopes less than 5 degrees

I have never heard of a tractor roll / flop while a unit is parked and I am not suggesting a tractor will roll if you remove a tire. Instability is a result of a number of factors, including the tractor size / width, wheel spacing and wheel height. With the loss of a rear wheel at even 5 mph, I would imagine a lot would be then determined by the resulting experience with trying to control the steering. My old Volvo T800 would have probably been fine, but my Yanmar 240D gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

/ Tractor loses wheel and flips, killing Groveland man #9  
As i originally said.. I'd like to see all the aggravating factors incvolved in this instance... There are soooo many variables to look at that will influence the situation.. rear implement being one of them..

I'm not saying it doesn't or can't happen.. just saying im interested in seeing the detials. Media is quick to sensationalize stories like this.. and then butcher the facts or leave out critical details altogether and thus turn an obvious 'head slapper' situation into a quandry.

Soundguy