Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives #1  

artfull dodger

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 420 garden tractor
With the approach of winter weather, the days are getting shorter and getting caught out after dark becomes more common. I see way to many folks around my place that either dont anything beyond a single rear flood light on thier tractors. Once my new to me yanmar gets out of the shop, she will get hazard flashers on both fenders, plus a small double flash xenon strobe light on the left fender, ie the one in traffic when i am on the road. I do lots of snow removal in the winter and by the time I get home from work and get the tractor started, its well after dark. It also helps to turn off the rear flood light when on the road, unless you are needing it for work as it tends to blind the traffic comming toward you and can actualy cause a collision if the motorist is blinded enough. Stay safe out there guys and gals. Mike

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives #2  
botamike:

Good advise; thanks for the reminder :). Jay

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives #3  
Mike,

Unless you live in an area with no hills at all, I'd suggest a beacon or flasher on the highest point of the tractor as well. I looked out the window the other night & the only reason I knew my neighbor was out harvesting beans was the blinking light I saw over the top of the corn. I tend to keep an eye on him as he's 75 years old and has a few medical issues. If I see his tractor sitting still for too long in the field, I tend to wander over & say hi.

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives #4  
tobad those rotten blue tented headlights for cars are out there... they do more harm for oncoming traffic then good :/ specially for my poor peepers... tis a important point though

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives #5  
I've been seriously considering a major upgrade to the lighting on my van. I want to pay the buggers back when they refuse to dim their bloody lights. (of course, the actual purpose of the multi-million candle-power high beams is to help me see the critters crossing the road so I can avoid hitting skunks. :rolleyes: )

/ Reminder to check lights or upgrade lights before winter arrives
I have a nice PROPER set of fog lamps on my Suburban, not them blinding things you get at wally world either. I run a nice large pair of SEV Marchal lamps made in France. Quite large in size, but I never get bright lighted for them. They only light up maybe 50 yards in front of me, but light the fields and ditches up way out to either side. Very handy this time of year due to the deer that are almost in rut now. I would love to mount the blinky light up higher than the fender, but the little Yanmar YM135 I have lacks a ROPS and I have not found one made for retrofitting. I am not happy about that as I feel the tractor should have one. Most welders around here wont build something like that custom as there is to much liability to it. I hope to have my tractor back from the diesel mechanice tomorrow or monday. Had the diesel totaly rebuilt. It was sick when I got it, I traded an old cub cadet 682 that wasnt in much better condition even for it. The yanmar had stuck exhaust valves from galling in the guides, a leaking radiator that I had recored. The mechanic friend of mine, did a pretty much full in frame rebuild, new rings, new rod bearings, honed both bores, reworked the head with all new valves, guides, seals. Once she runs and is proven to be a solid machine, I will pick up a new muffler and stack turnout extension and repaint it. Cheers Mikie