Skidding logs

/ Skidding logs #1  

flINTLOCK

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH TC40DA 2002
I have a 3-pt adapter that has horizontal draw bar to connect to lift arms and a toplink attachment. Can I safely skid logs with this if lift arms are down nearly all the way? That should put the drawbar and chain hooks just above the level of the tractor's own pivoting drawbar. Concerned that toplink connection will transfer some of the load to higher point, creating potential instability.

/ Skidding logs #2  
I have a similar arrangement that I use to skid logs. It allows me to put weight on the back wheels for traction. When doing this I also keep the bucket full of rocks.:D :D

/ Skidding logs #3  
flINTLOCK said:
I have a 3-pt adapter that has horizontal draw bar to connect to lift arms and a toplink attachment. Can I safely skid logs with this if lift arms are down nearly all the way? That should put the drawbar and chain hooks just above the level of the tractor's own pivoting drawbar. Concerned that toplink connection will transfer some of the load to higher point, creating potential instability.

With the size tractor that you have there is no need to keep the bucket full of rocks. You don't need that extra weight to hinder you in the woods. Just use some common sense. I have been skidding all day with my L 3830. Back up to the log and let the DB down on top of the log, hook the chain as short as you can then raise the DB to its highest point. This way only the tail end of the log is on the ground and it should just slide along easily.

/ Skidding logs #4  
flINTLOCK said:

The secret is "pulling straight " we do a lot of logging and when busy we skid with all sorts things and a tractor 3 point with chain is better than the hitch because you can lift the points a little ,and stop them snagging on stumps .
We pull 2 100ft poplars with 70hp 2wd's and the front end is in the air all the way ,Just dont try turning ?

/ Skidding logs #5  
I don't see where that set up is much different than the older Farmi winch I have on my L3000DT. There is a chain attachment point to hook the log to about a foot off the ground with the 3PH lowered. Raising the 3PH picks the front of the log off the ground 8 to 12 inches.

I agree pulling straight is the key as well as watching the ground for spots that will snag the log. When one stops paying attention to what is going on that is usually when something happens that gets ones attention.

Randy

/ Skidding logs
Is it worth investing in a choker chain??

/ Skidding logs #7  
I had a set of logging hooks on my 3pt and it worked fine. I just followed the advice I received of keeping it "low and slow" and I didn't have any problems. I didn't use a choker but see where that could make hook up quicker.

/ Skidding logs #8  
Flintlock: chain hooh that slides - chocker chain!:D

Attachments

• chain hook.jpg
    chain hook.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 390
   / Skidding logs #9  
Flintlock,
I saw they make some plastic? skids that go over the end of the logs to keep them from digging in.
BTW, are getting these logs to make your tractor shed taller?
Sorry man, couldn't resist.