Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA 2002

Default Skidding logs

I have a 3-pt adapter that has horizontal draw bar to connect to lift arms and a toplink attachment. Can I safely skid logs with this if lift arms are down nearly all the way? That should put the drawbar and chain hooks just above the level of the tractor's own pivoting drawbar. Concerned that toplink connection will transfer some of the load to higher point, creating potential instability.
    2007 TC40DA, Supersteer, ANBO Grapple Rake with WR Long Joystick rocker control, Landpride 72" Box Scraper, 84" Rake, 72" Disc Harrow,72" Spring Tine Harrow, 72" Woods Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks, 60 gallon Cropcare 3-pt sprayer, 72" 3-pt chain drag,Vicon 3-pt spreader

Default Re: Skidding logs

I have a similar arrangement that I use to skid logs. It allows me to put weight on the back wheels for traction. When doing this I also keep the bucket full of rocks.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830 03: RTV 900

Quote Originally Posted by flINTLOCK
    I have a 3-pt adapter that has horizontal draw bar to connect to lift arms and a toplink attachment. Can I safely skid logs with this if lift arms are down nearly all the way? That should put the drawbar and chain hooks just above the level of the tractor's own pivoting drawbar. Concerned that toplink connection will transfer some of the load to higher point, creating potential instability.

With the size tractor that you have there is no need to keep the bucket full of rocks. You don't need that extra weight to hinder you in the woods. Just use some common sense. I have been skidding all day with my L 3830. Back up to the log and let the DB down on top of the log, hook the chain as short as you can then raise the DB to its highest point. This way only the tail end of the log is on the ground and it should just slide along easily.
    M-5040 w/cab, 05 RTV 900, Where the maple sap flows

D7E
    Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by flINTLOCK
    The secret is "pulling straight " we do a lot of logging and when busy we skid with all sorts things and a tractor 3 point with chain is better than the hitch because you can lift the points a little ,and stop them snagging on stumps .
    We pull 2 100ft poplars with 70hp 2wd's and the front end is in the air all the way ,Just dont try turning ?

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000

I don't see where that set up is much different than the older Farmi winch I have on my L3000DT. There is a chain attachment point to hook the log to about a foot off the ground with the 3PH lowered. Raising the 3PH picks the front of the log off the ground 8 to 12 inches.

I agree pulling straight is the key as well as watching the ground for spots that will snag the log. When one stops paying attention to what is going on that is usually when something happens that gets ones attention.

Randy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    NH TC40DA 2002

Is it worth investing in a choker chain??
    2007 TC40DA, Supersteer, ANBO Grapple Rake with WR Long Joystick rocker control, Landpride 72" Box Scraper, 84" Rake, 72" Disc Harrow,72" Spring Tine Harrow, 72" Woods Rotary Cutter, Pallet Forks, 60 gallon Cropcare 3-pt sprayer, 72" 3-pt chain drag,Vicon 3-pt spreader

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, John Deere X534, Gator HPX 4x4, 14SB, Honda TRX 420 FE

I had a set of logging hooks on my 3pt and it worked fine. I just followed the advice I received of keeping it "low and slow" and I didn't have any problems. I didn't use a choker but see where that could make hook up quicker.

Flintlock: chain hooh that slides - chocker chain!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
    Tractor
    55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284

Flintlock,
    I saw they make some plastic? skids that go over the end of the logs to keep them from digging in.
    BTW, are getting these logs to make your tractor shed taller?
    Sorry man, couldn't resist.
    Rob-
    ...The Older I get...the Better I Used to be...
    Member of the Month