Chaining down attachments

/ Chaining down attachments #1  

AlanB

Elite Member
Tractor
NH 1925
This happened about 2 miles from the house, my wife was coming the other way as they were sorting it all out.

The Leaf Chronicle - www.theleafchronicle.com - Clarksville, TN

I love the way that wheel, "threw it off balance".......

Maybe that and driving like a bat out of heck on a narrow road with no shoulders and dropping a wheel off the side.............

Good greif.

/ Chaining down attachments #2  
Take that reporter out and give him a lesson in reporting... give me a break... all in the same article

critically injured
paramedics told him it was not life-threatening.
it was not as bad as it looks

It is, however, a reminder to chain stuff down.... but the folks who don't do this anyway never learn lessons anyway

/ Chaining down attachments #3  
texasjohn said:
Take that reporter out and give him a lesson in reporting... give me a break... all in the same article

critically injured
paramedics told him it was not life-threatening.
it was not as bad as it looks

It is, however, a reminder to chain stuff down.... but the folks who don't do this anyway never learn lessons anyway

From the photo, it appears that the mowers carrier wheel that would have been on the extreme right hand side of the trailer (with wings raised) is missing. That would make it tend to be unstable and possibly wanting to lean to the right. With the weight of the wings not supported by that outer wheel, it would have been "out of balance", and having a tendency to want to fall over to the right. More efforts than normal should have been taken to secure the load. Obviously, NO EFFORTS were taken. Reporters (usually) repeat (with their sometimes uneducated interpretation) what they're told, possibly by ANOTHER un-informed source. All in all, the description wasn't that far off.

I've got a 15' batwing. I've had the tire in that same location to go flat, even at very low speeds behind a tractor (NOT on a trailer) the mower had a natural tendency to want to roll over to that side when the wings were raised. I see HOW it happened. That doesn't create an excuse for WHY it happened though. Simply irresponsibility on the part of the hauler. Mower should have been cribbed on the side missing the wheel, then chained properly.

Cyclist is lucky he wasn't injured worse than he was. I smell lawyers.

/ Chaining down attachments
FWJ, you have a better eye then I. I had to go back and look at the picture a couple times to see what you pointed out.

The wheel I saw missing was the one sticking straight up in the air, (actually the hub) the carrier wheel for the wing, I missed that lower "main" wheel missing, thanks for pointing that out.

But, as you said, he was still responsible for it to be safe, and darn near took another's life due to a careless attitude.

/ Chaining down attachments #5  
I wasn't sure if that was lawyers I smelled, or if somebody has been dipping my septic tank. Glad you cleared that up, and explained it was the lawyers.
Since I am named currently in 6 lawsuits, I can understand where that bush hog owner is heading, and it isn't any fun. Make sure you chain your loads properly and watch out for what is going on around you.
David from jax

/ Chaining down attachments #6  
Sure sounds like the driver didn't secure his load properly.
I get tired of seeing wrecks blamed on the "rain" or the "snow". Nope- it is people not adjusting their driving to account for the weather.
We have an interstate loop exchange where trucks turn over almost every week...it is frequently blamed on "the load shifted". Horsepucky..it is the driver's fault for not securing the load and/or taking the cloverleaf way too fast.

/ Chaining down attachments #7  
sandman2234 said:
I wasn't sure if that was lawyers I smelled, or if somebody has been dipping my septic tank. Glad you cleared that up, and explained it was the lawyers.
Since I am named currently in 6 lawsuits, I can understand where that bush hog owner is heading, and it isn't any fun. Make sure you chain your loads properly and watch out for what is going on around you.
David from jax

Hokey Smoke...6!!!...How do you sleep at night...Me...I'd become an insomniac...I hope your attorneys are good...Is it possible that some will be dismissed during discovery??

/ Chaining down attachments #8  
Just about every website on Al Gores internet that covers anything pertaining to trucks/tractors/trailers/hauling has a thread running these days regarding DOT #'s, CDL's, ect. You wanna know why? Look at that picture real close. Some day when we can't haul our riding lawn mower to granny's house to mow the lawn without a permit and a zillion bucks worth of liability insurance, just thank the guy who neglected to chain down that batwing mower. There's just enough people out there that make the government think they need to protect us from ourselves to get that ball rolling.

/ Chaining down attachments #9  
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any tie downs on that tractor either.

/ Chaining down attachments #10  
I watched a guy load a tractor and bush hog on a trailer and as he got ready to pull off, I asked him if he forgot to chain it down. He said that he had set the brakes on the tractor, and wasn't going far. Wonder if this is the same guy or one of his relatives?
As far as the 6 lawsuits I am named in, they all stem from one accident, and one person saying he was injured. His wife is an attorney and they are sueing everyone, just looking to hit a lottery. I don't have any trouble sleeping at night, but do worry about how to pay the bills till I get this straightened out and get back to work.
David from jax