What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain?

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #11  
I use them all. For the tractor - chain, webbing, and rope are my choices depending on specific circumstance. Chain is the workhorse because of its ruggedness. Sometimes its just too heavy tho and the fiber products make sense. All things have elasticity and store energy as they stretch with load. The high strength chains [Gr70 or above] exhibit this springy nature noticeable more than the std logging chain which I believe is grade 30. The std strength chain begins to deform plastically after only a small amount of elastic stretch. If it breaks or comes loose the elastic energy gives a rebound. The hi grade chain stretches further elastically so stores more energy. You pay for the increased safety in greater weight for the quivalent std strength chain. 3/8" std and 5/16" gr70 are near equivalent in strength [20,000lb break], but if one fails you would rather it be the 3/8 -- it wont fly as much. The velocity of rebound wont get real high, but theres still a lot of weight moving.

Woven fiber lines stretch with near total elasticity. If a hook lets go it is a bullet. If the line itself breaks, each end becomes Paul Bunyans whip.

One wants to stay in the correct working range to be safe in every case. I use gr 70 chain. I believe I have a feel for it. Still, accidents happen. Gr30 fails safer. You make your choice.
larry

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #12  
I use chain, 5/16ths grade 70 the vast majority of the time. Initially used straps but with rocks I have the straps would get badly frayed within about 5 pulls. Don't forget about wrapping a tarp or blanket around the chain. That really does slow the chain down.

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #13  
Tony:
I have always used 3/8 Gr70 chain in various lengths with great results. I like to use chain because it is "almost" (remember ALMOST) impervious to weather conditions, soil abrasion, oil, gas, sharp edges, excessive sunlight, etc. A choker, which is a short chain (in this case), with a hook on one end and a ring or slip hook on the other is the best way cinch objects because it keeps constant tension on the object while dragging, hence reducing slippage. I prefer to keep whatever I'm dragging (skidding) as close to the tractor as possible and by pulling slowly, steadily, gives me more control of what I'm moving. The longer the chain, the more likely the object will "stray" from the intended course. In any case, common sense, which is not so common anymore, is the rule. Good luck and be safe!

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain?
Thanks guys. :) Looks like we're reaching a consensus for the majority of uses. I'll go out and look for Grade70 3/8" or 5/16".

Do the big box stores label the chain by grade? do they even have grade70? maybe I should go to Northern or TSC instead?

I like the idea of a ring at least on one end. How would it be attached? cut the ring and then weld once in place? or maybe a clevis to connect ring to chain?

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #15  
tony123 said:
Thanks guys. :) Looks like we're reaching a consensus for the majority of uses. I'll go out and look for Grade70 3/8" or 5/16".

Do the big box stores label the chain by grade? do they even have grade70? maybe I should go to Northern or TSC instead?
TSC and Northern both have transport chain. I don't know if they carry that at the Borg. Locally, Northern is cheaper than TSC, but that may just be because of sourcing. Freight really runs chain prices up.

You should also consider 3/8" grade 43 chain. It has a SWL (Safe Working Load) of 5,400 lbs. Depending on the store, 3/8" grade 43 may be a better deal than 5/16" grade 70, which has a SWL of 4,700 lbs.

Also, make sure that any accessories you buy, such as clevises, grab hooks, shackles, etc., are rated at least as high as the chain that you decide on. I suggest you compare only SWL figures.

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #16  
tony123, Most professionals use cable to pull wood. Here's a sample : http://www.wallingfords.com/26-34.pdf. Chain is the next best. Don't spend time worrying about chain/cable failure, get chain/cable big enough to do the job without breaking. I've never broken a 5/16" grade 70 chain or a 1/2' wire rope with my tractor & I've jerked both on occasion. Don't know what you're pulling with but I have seen a 200 hp tractor break 1/2" chain into multiple pieces with a jerk (both by the tractor & in the seat). MikeD74T

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #17  
tony123 said:
Thanks everyone. Seems like chain has many advantages. I think 90% of my usage will be well under limits of allmost everything.

I also like the idea of throwing a tarp over it. I've got a large heavy army tarp.

So lets talk specifics.
Types of chain?
what size would I be looking for?
what is a realistic weight limit?
what do you think is the point that my tractor would likely break a chain if it were attached to a fixed object?

Any tips on fasteners for the ends? clevis? hook?

What about a good usable length? I'm thinking 20' would give enough for a loop around object and then another 10+ feet? Is it logical that a shorter chain might be safer? less to whip?

Sorry to be so elementary. Just never done this before and recognize the potential for danger.

Rarely does chain fling back when it snaps. The reason being is that the weight of the chain weighs much more that the end hook or loop. It will usually just drop. Some chains are designed for pulling, and some are designed for lifting. In most logging situations, chains are used. Maybe something like the picture below might be useful.

Attachments

• clip_image0021-2.jpg
    clip_image0021-2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 335
  • grapple-new1.jpg
    grapple-new1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 280
   / What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain? #19  
Like SPYDERLK, I've used them all at one time or another. Generally speaking, my preference was 3/8" chain. However, when I bought my place in the country, there was a rather large coil of 3/8", or maybe 1/2", stranded cable in the barn. I cut it in two; gave one half to my brother and kept the other half. I put a slip hook on one end and a loop on the other, using two cable clamps on each end, and drug a lot of brush, trees, etc. with that cable. I was confident that it was stronger than my little Kubotas.;)

/ What to buy to pull things with? rope? chain?
Mike, that gives me some confidence. I've only got 23hp in a 4wd. If you're confident pulling with 45hp on a 5/16" grade70, then it should be plenty overkill for me.

JJ, don't think that will be necessary.:D Just basic residential work here. :D

I'll be out at Northern Tool on Sunday. Will look at the chain then.