Is there any science behind pucker factor?

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #1  

putt_putt_green

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520
Just wondering if anyone knows the scientific reason for the occurrence of pucker factor?

If I were to guess (I'm sure I'm totally wrong), I'd guess the weight starts to shift from the uphill side to the downhill side of the tractor at a faster rate. This puts less weight on the uphill side of the tractor and more weight on the downhill side of the tractor causing the tractor to shift ever so slightly. This shift is noticeable to a person.

If someone were to drive with one side of the tractor tires loaded and the other side unloaded sideways on a hill, would the pucker factor change based on whether the loaded side was uphill or downhill?

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #2  
The weight doesn't shift from one side of the tractor to another. The center of gravity changes.

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #4  
Most Darwin Award prizewinners have low to zero pucker factor.

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #5  
Another poster already hit the nail on the head about center of gravity.

And depending on how and where you hang weights.. you will adjust center of cragity on a tractor.

That said.. I'm not a fan of running 1 tire wet, and one dry.

Soundguy

putt_putt_green said:
Just wondering if anyone knows the scientific reason for the occurrence of pucker factor?

If I were to guess (I'm sure I'm totally wrong), I'd guess the weight starts to shift from the uphill side to the downhill side of the tractor at a faster rate. This puts less weight on the uphill side of the tractor and more weight on the downhill side of the tractor causing the tractor to shift ever so slightly. This shift is noticeable to a person.

If someone were to drive with one side of the tractor tires loaded and the other side unloaded sideways on a hill, would the pucker factor change based on whether the loaded side was uphill or downhill?

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #6  
I thought the pucker factor came from the inner ear.

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #7  
The more pucker factor. The better the grip on the seat. :rolleyes:

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #8  
MossRoad said:
The weight doesn't shift from one side of the tractor to another. The center of gravity changes.

Nope,
Guess again.

The weight and C of G both stay put.
What CHANGES is the area of support UNDER the C of G.
Perhaps more importantly (in our heads) the area of support under our precious little bodies.

and yes, self preservation / fear is the cause.

/ Is there any science behind pucker factor? #9  
Rob hit the nail on the head with the vestibular system/cochlea/inner ear... we do not like to get off kilter, even by a few degrees, so when a side drops out on us, it's fight or flight that kicks in...

No amount of weight shifting will stop the physiological response, but it can keep you planted more firmly, and increase the actual angle the tractor will go over... this will give you some reassurance as your heart rate continues to spike! :D