MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #1  

mnbowhunter1960

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3320 W/Imatch
Man Killed In Tractor Accident
COLD SPRING, Minn. (AP) ― A Cold Spring, Minn. man is dead after a tractor accident.

Authorities say 76-year-old Carl Mueller was driving a tractor, pulling two hayracks, when the trailer jackknifed causing the tractor to roll into the ditch.

Mueller was found dead underneath the tractor.

The accident happened around 6 p.m. Tuesday, about a half-mile north of Cold Spring.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #2  
The more I hear about these the more I see a trend consisting of old men and old tractors. In this case, we have no info about the tractor but the absence of a ROPS or seatbelt is a safe assumption.

You combine the decreased strength, wit and reflexes that come with older ages with the unforgiving nature of tractors without ROPS or seatbelts and it is an obvious recipe for problems.

What do we learn from it?

Maybe getting killed at age 76 doing what you like to do isn't the worst thing that can happen to you. But I doubt our families would feel the same way.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #3  
N80 said:
The more I hear about these the more I see a trend consisting of old men and old tractors. In this case, we have no info about the tractor but the absence of a ROPS or seatbelt is a safe assumption.

You combine the decreased strength, wit and reflexes that come with older ages with the unforgiving nature of tractors without ROPS or seatbelts and it is an obvious recipe for problems.

What do we learn from it?

Maybe getting killed at age 76 doing what you like to do isn't the worst thing that can happen to you. But I doubt our families would feel the same way.

I agree with NA80 on this one, hearing about far too many 70 and 80 year olds in these stories.

I would like to add, 6pm is getting toward Dark outside isn't it?
Add to that, it was in MN where I'd guess temps were hovering around freezing?

Then there is the mysterious sudden trailer jack-knifing.
Trailers don't just jack-knife (effect) without some cause.

I don't knwo what we can learn from this one, until we get more facts.
At this point we know a little bit of nothing.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #4  
Not too many ways for this to happen...more than likely pulling a heavy trailer without brakes downhill and tried to either stop it or slow it down...

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #5  
We had a very good friend of the family died in a tractor rollover several years ago, while driving down the road. He was 75 and was driving an old tractor. My dad tells me the tractor was on its last legs.

Lesson - don't drive an unsafe tractor.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #6  

Some of us "Oldsters" may agree with the strength and reflexes part but the "wit" no way.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #7  
bjcsc said:
Not too many ways for this to happen...more than likely pulling a heavy trailer without brakes downhill and tried to either stop it or slow it down...

My B-I-L had this happen to him, fortunately with a better outcome. Using a 2wd JD 2355, pulling two fully loaded hay wagons downhill on wet grass. Hit the brakes (or got out of the throttle), the wagons pushed and the back tires lost grip. He was slightly cross hill and the wagons jack knifed him. The first one came up and smashed into the fender and bent it a little. He said it happened fairly slowly but it still scared the dickens out of him. He blamed it on worn rear tires (they were VERY worn). I helped him put the new ones on the next weekend.

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #8  
stories like this make you think. My old grandpappy when he was alive tried to do more than he could. I was the only one that could just step in his way and take the tools from his hand and do it my self. He would raise caine about it but I would just say, this is why you taught me, let me show you how good, strong, talented, skilled (wich ever fit the situation) you made me. when I was not around he would over do and be sore, or get the job half done and give out. He never had a tractor that I know of but if he had I could see him not giving up the keys. But the other side is when you give up you start dying. so... All in all it might not be a bad way to go

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #9  
ToadHill said:
Some of us "Oldsters" may agree with the strength and reflexes part but the "wit" no way.

Well, maybe you're doing better than me but I'm only 44 and its already slipping. Of course my dad always said I was a half-wit so I'm going from bad to worse.:rolleyes:

/ MN TRACTOR ACCIDENT #10  
Carl was a beautiful human being who absolutely loved farming. He was persistant on getting on the tractor that day and helping out. Farming was his life. It wasn't freezing cold that day. In fact, it was a beautiful fall day, and the accident occured at dusk.

For those who post on this forum, please be kind with your comments and remember that with this tragic accident, Carl wasn't just another "old" 76 year old as you have all commented. The rural community of Cold Spring lost a good friend. The family of Carl lost a father, grandfather, uncle, cousin, and nephew.

Thank you.