Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #11  
Moss Road ,
Thanks for posting this, I was fortune enough to see this years ago live at PSU Ag days and it is amazing how fast a tractor can flip or roll . If any one can attend PSU Ag days it is well worth the trip for the safety demostrations.
Plus looking at the new tractors and good food is a plus. :)

Macdabs

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #13  
My tractor manual says to always drive "backwards" up steep slopes rather than driving up them in "forward." Do people do this in practice?

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #14  
So I'm new and reading this...finally convinced the wife to wear the seatbelt...I come into work, and in through the gate comes two non-professionals on Kubotas (~45hp, so not real small) towing rotary mowers. First one hangs a 'U' and starts mowing across a slope on the other side of the fence. I make it through the gate just in time to see: rotary mower almost all the way over.

Sure enough, he rolled it downhill against a tree. I stopped - he's OK. Seatbelt and ROPS. He's standing there holding onto it like it's a fish he landed. If you've ever seen that, you know what I'm talking about.

Just reinforces: it happens just like that.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #15  
WOW!! After watching these videos (again) I can see just how smart jumping free is. Yeah, forget the seatbelt so you will be thrown free of the problem or can quickly and adroitly jump clear of the problem.

N O T !!!

Pat

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #16  
Foozle said:
My tractor manual says to always drive "backwards" up steep slopes rather than driving up them in "forward." Do people do this in practice?

I have ... well, no experience with tractors and just got a Kubota BX 24 last week. My lot has a pretty good hill up by the road. I was taking the tractor to put it in the garage for the first time which involves going up hill. It felt weird and did not feel right as I started going straight up. I flipped around and backed up and it went fine once in 4wd. Not sure if it was overly cautious but wrecking a new tractor the first week is just the sort of thing that would happen to me. So yes, some people, do back up a steep hill.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #17  
I'm suspecting those videos are losing how steep the hills are and perhaps making it look more flat than it is. This is common in 2d video. That or they are picking machines known to have a higher rollover frequency? In any case, from looking at those videos I have never had a machine roll over at those apparent conditions so it is my bet the conditions are far more severe than what shows in the video. If they are serious about safety then put a grade ball/meter on every machine and print right next to it the "hang on tight degree"

Btw....that machine in the rear rollover must be pretty darn strong, I've never had one that didn't run out of power or slip the clutch at about 45 degrees or so of lift.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #18  
txkevin said:
I have ... well, no experience with tractors and just got a Kubota BX 24 last week. My lot has a pretty good hill up by the road. I was taking the tractor to put it in the garage for the first time which involves going up hill. It felt weird and did not feel right as I started going straight up. I flipped around and backed up and it went fine once in 4wd. Not sure if it was overly cautious but wrecking a new tractor the first week is just the sort of thing that would happen to me. So yes, some people, do back up a steep hill.
Be careful, some in the Safety Patrol have determined that even backing up a hill in 4WD could be potentially lethal as well, and soon they will be releasing a video showing how dangerous it is to back up a hill with the tractor in 4WD... and how easy it is to flip one over forward! Production has begun on the video, but they're having difficulty finding a way to securely hook a chain to the hood ornament... they keep pulling it out and having to replace the hood. Because of this, the cost of producing this video has gotten prohibitative, but research is continuing, and as soon as the special effects issues are worked out, production will continue and the video will be distributed to all safety conscious tractor operators across the world. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, remember that the best thing to do is to never ever leave level ground, and never ever operate your tractor with the ROPS folded down, no matter how slowly you are operating, even just sitting on it with the engine off... because as you know, rollovers can happen in the blink on an eye. Should you inadvertently find yourself in a situation where you have strayed from level ground, no matter how slight the slope, immediately stop the tractor, set the parking brake, stop the engine, assess your situation, and if possible, dismount the tractor on the uphill side to avoid tipping over. Call for assistance if you have cell phone coverage... A Safety Patrol member here on TBN is always on the line, ready to help.

Remember that backing up a hill in 4WD could be potentially lethal as well if the conditions are just right, so until further research is done, be sure to have the tractor in 2WD if backing up a hill. If you are not confident that you can recover your tractor from this situation or are just not confident in your own judgement, it may be advisable to aquire the services of a tow truck to winch it back up the slope, or if you are in a very remote location, a helicopter extraction may be the only viable option in this case. Always remember to think about what you're doing and where you're going before you leave the relative safety of the shed.

Remember, a Safety Patrol member is always here on duty 24/7 to assist you. Don't heisitate to call.

Safety First!

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #19  
xlr82v2 said:
Be careful, some in the Safety Patrol have determined that even backing up a hill in 4WD could be potentially lethal as well...

...Always remember to think about what you're doing and where you're going before you leave the relative safety of the shed.

Remember, a Safety Patrol member is always here on duty 24/7 to assist you. Don't heisitate to call.

Safety First!

I had a good belly laugh on this one because displayed immediately below this post was one of those links to an advertiser. How terrifically appropriate as the advertiser was for a manure spreader.

Pat

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #20  
I wonder why there are no wheelie bars on that machine that flipped backwards, some of us call them three point lift arms. That stunt probably doesn't work so well with 3pt arms on.

Also noticed the operator must be impaired in some way (drunk?) he was falling out of the seat before the machine was on much of a tilt, he should know better than drink and drive, he must be a REAL DUMMY.

Just noticed this also....the people in the last pic should not be standing downhill from that tractor, if it were to decide it's not done rolling it could totally ruin their day.