Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Default Re: Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    maybe the not right place to put this but found this vid interesting never seen anything like it .
    YouTube - Big Tridem Dump truck
    Well, it is very interesting, but it doesn't have anything to do with tractor rollovers or safety.

Perhaps you may want to post this over in the related topics section.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    MF 35 and Kub BX24

Where I live, if it weren't for hills there would be no here... MF35 with tires out does great up to a point on hillsides, but not pulling a square bailer, I have mowed some steep hillsides but turning at the end of the windrows requires disengaging the bailer to not get driven down the hill by the inertia of the plunger. One thing very important is to go SLOW.
    I purchased a kubota BX24 couple years ago and have laid it over once left and once right. I love the tractor, but is more for a flatlander, or straight up and down hillside which causes come problems here. I've written to Kubota several times and requested a suggested POR (Point of Roll) degree, but have heard nothing from them. It rolls slowly and only on the side giving plenty of time to exit, but the engine didn't shut off right away on the roll to the left and I had to take out the glow plugs and blow the extra fuel out of the cylinders to get it to start again.
    My wife has a riding lawn mower with a warning of 18Degrees in the book, I'd wish that the Kubota folks would follow suit. That way at least I'd have an idea instead of just trying to feel my way along sometimes.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

Thanks for the safety info. All that I can add is that in 35 years of mowing with a Case 448, MMM (no ROPS...no seatbelt) across ways on my slope, there was never a sense of losing control or tipping over. Now, with my BX2660 (MMM) the same slope doesn't feel as secure. It must be the differance in the physics of the two different machines. But now I have my ROPS and seat belt.
    Kubota B2620 HST

Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
    Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

Sometimes it seems that with experience (age) you just become a bit more cautious. Changing machines, as you mentioned, can certainly be different as they could have a higher or lower center of gravity. Weight and dimensions difference could make if feel more tippy as well.

Tractor
    Kubota L185DT

I feel those videos / pics are staged, yes probably anyone can turn over their tractor when you hit a mound or rock on a side hill. What is not said is how much weight was added to the rear end, tires or other things, widened rear tread. That should be a follow up .I can slide my tractor on a side hill now way before it tries to tip. Bad demo pics, they do not tell the real story of wider rear end stance, center of gravity, etc.
    Kubota L185DT AKA with optional 2 speed axle, 16 gears, FEL, brush hog 51" wide.

Tractor

Of course it is staged! How else do you explain all the cameras and observers? And the remote controlled tractor? And the dummy in the seat? And the different ways they chained to the stump to show how it can flip easier the higher you hooked it up????

They put on a demonstration to show how quickly a slope angle can change by simply hitting a depression. You can go from 25 degrees to 40 real quick by hitting a washed out ground hog hole on a slope. That is what they wanted to show people. They also showed how a tractor can go over backwards if chained high instead of low.

What is so hard about this demonstration for people to understand? Good grief folks. There are several stories here on TBN by TBN members that have put their tractors on their sides or even rolled them. It happens and it happens quickly. That is what the demonstrations show. Plain and simple.
    MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740 HST

Hey Mossroad,

Thanks a million for posting the videos on this subject...what's become obvious to me the last couple of months is that there is a prevailing attitude that "It just can't happen to me...I've got too much common sense to do something stupid like that". I grew up on the farm and rode tractors when I could barely reach the clutch but I'm not beyond looking at things from a new angle. If you have any other good sources please post them.

How many safety fatalities do we have to post on this web to get the word out that we're NOT THINKING.
    Safety first!
    Proverbs 1:32
    "For the waywardness of the naive will kill them,And the complacency of fools will destroy them.
    Keep your ROPS up, your bucket low and plenty of weight to counter your FEL...

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Quote Originally Posted by nebraskasparks View Post
    Hey Mossroad,

Thanks a million for posting the videos on this subject...what's become obvious to me the last couple of months is that there is a prevailing attitude that "It just can't happen to me...I've got too much common sense to do something stupid like that". I grew up on the farm and rode tractors when I could barely reach the clutch but I'm not beyond looking at things from a new angle. If you have any other good sources please post them.

How many safety fatalities do we have to post on this web to get the word out that we're NOT THINKING.
    This attitude is all too common on tractors, motorcycles, cars, boats etc.

I have been driving tractors a loooong time and don't think I will ever be "comfortable" on slopes even those I have been mowing for years.
    Thread on helpful tractor abbreviations: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...-acronyms.html

Tractor

Yep. We sometimes get complacent.
    MossRoad

Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    cub cadet #8354

Quote Originally Posted by xlr82v2 View Post
    Be careful, some in the Safety Patrol have determined that even backing up a hill in 4WD could be potentially lethal as well, and soon they will be releasing a video showing how dangerous it is to back up a hill with the tractor in 4WD... and how easy it is to flip one over forward! Production has begun on the video, but they're having difficulty finding a way to securely hook a chain to the hood ornament... they keep pulling it out and having to replace the hood. Because of this, the cost of producing this video has gotten prohibitative, but research is continuing, and as soon as the special effects issues are worked out, production will continue and the video will be distributed to all safety conscious tractor operators across the world. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, remember that the best thing to do is to never ever leave level ground, and never ever operate your tractor with the ROPS folded down, no matter how slowly you are operating, even just sitting on it with the engine off... because as you know, rollovers can happen in the blink on an eye. Should you inadvertently find yourself in a situation where you have strayed from level ground, no matter how slight the slope, immediately stop the tractor, set the parking brake, stop the engine, assess your situation, and if possible, dismount the tractor on the uphill side to avoid tipping over. Call for assistance if you have cell phone coverage... A Safety Patrol member here on TBN is always on the line, ready to help.

Remember that backing up a hill in 4WD could be potentially lethal as well if the conditions are just right, so until further research is done, be sure to have the tractor in 2WD if backing up a hill. If you are not confident that you can recover your tractor from this situation or are just not confident in your own judgement, it may be advisable to aquire the services of a tow truck to winch it back up the slope, or if you are in a very remote location, a helicopter extraction may be the only viable option in this case. Always remember to think about what you're doing and where you're going before you leave the relative safety of the shed.

Remember, a Safety Patrol member is always here on duty 24/7 to assist you. Don't heisitate to call.

Safety First!
    now this is funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast