Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Here is a link to the tractor rollover demo pictures and videos that we keep talking about in many forums here on TBN. There are five pages of information there, many pictures and videos. Please read them all, look at the pictures and watch the videos. I'll make this a sticky post for now so that it stays at the top of the Safety Forum for a while. ;)

Tractor Overturn, H.J. Sommer III

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #2  
thanks, they realy drive the point home. If a picture is worth a thousand words, whats a video worth???

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #3  
Never drive across a slope with the nose pointed down hill , NEVER . As the front axle pivots in the centre it is like having a tractor with one front wheel in the middle . The weight is transfered to the low front corner and is taken away from the high side rear wheel . The front axle offers no resistance at all until the axle hits the stops by which time its all over . Thats why i mow steep embankments with the nose steering up hill , the rear axle being rigid stabilizes the tractor .

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #5  
Im talking about mowing levy banks lengthways , not up and down . When i say never drive across a slope with the nose pointing down hill i mean if you have too . Drive with the nose elevated a minnimum 5 degrees + from horizontal which utilizes the rigidity of the chassis and rear axle for stability . If you come down to 0 degrees (horizontal) you start to loose this effect . If you go further below horizontal to say 5 degrees- you will do as i said before and roll the tractor .

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #6  
OK...I need to read more carefully.

I hadn't realized you were talking about cross-slope travel.

:eek:

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #7  
Pretty scary stuff. After I installed a tilt meter I confirmed that my own sense of impending doom mirrored the meter. At 15 degrees I get that feeling. Once I mowed a few times with the meter I have the spots identified where I am particularly careful. Looking at the posted rollover site really drives the point home.
Thanks,
John

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #8  
Nice video but I noticed everytime the tractor flipped they were turning the wheels up hill. Thats definatly going to cause an unstable condition. I suspect the tractor would have traversed the slope had they not turned the wheels up hill. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing the video just making an observation.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #9  
offcamber said:
Nice video but I noticed everytime the tractor flipped they were turning the wheels up hill. Thats definatly going to cause an unstable condition. I suspect the tractor would have traversed the slope had they not turned the wheels up hill. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing the video just making an observation.

You are right, but these things can tip over fairly easily. I am glad I watched this. I have just been snowblowing my level driveway so farwith my tractor, but I am going to be doing some work on unlevel ground. Now I will be extra careful.

/ Tractor Rollover Demo Pictures and Videos #10  
smfcpacfp said:
You are right, but these things can tip over fairly easily. I am glad I watched this. I have just been snowblowing my level driveway so farwith my tractor, but I am going to be doing some work on unlevel ground. Now I will be extra careful.
No doubt you need to be carefull I have had my BX24 on two wheels (opposite front and rear) with bucket half way up in the air full of snow...rates a 9.5 on the pucker factor....I gingerly backed up and lowered the FEL at the same time....Luckly I have a good sense of the tip factor from off-roading my Jeep. Had that a little tippy too! :eek: