SMV signs and IL

/ SMV signs and IL #1  

jimg

Veteran Member
Was looking thru the AgriSupply catalog the other night and the small print says they wont sell SMV signs to IL residents. Any one venture a guess why? I thought it was sort of odd.

/ SMV signs and IL #2  
The state of Illinois now requires SMV emblems to meet the new ASAE S276.5 standard. Obviously, AgriSupply's signs do not meet this standard.

Last edited:
   / SMV signs and IL
Just idle curiosity on my part...Im not in the market for such a thing nor do I live in IL. :) BTW thanx for the explanation...would have never though of that. How diff can the 'new' SMV be vs the 'old'??

/ SMV signs and IL #4  
Actually, the new standard is ASAE S276.5 and you can not use the old standard ASAE S276.4 or ASAE S276.3 signs in Illinois. The new standard is supposed to be 10 times brighter than the old ones enabling slow moving equipment to be better seen.

/ SMV signs and IL
Next obvious question is how can the various stds be differentiated? I know none of my SMVs are marked in any way. I presume the LE folks can some how tell them apart...some sort of field test?

/ SMV signs and IL #6  
jimg said:
Next obvious question is how can the various stds be differentiated? I know none of my SMVs are marked in any way. I presume the LE folks can some how tell them apart...some sort of field test?

Yes...you will know if you have the old ones...when the IL DOT pulls you over and gives you a ticket...:rolleyes:

Actually, I bet there is a grandfather clause on all currently used SMV's otherwise the AG lobby would have "raised cain"...:D

/ SMV signs and IL #7  
The ASAE S276.5 and ASAE S276.6 both are labeled at the bottom of the SMV sign. Old signs are not grandfathered in and must be replaced. The new signs are designed to be reflective twice as long and 10 times more than the old signs so they don't have to be replaced nearly as often. These signs are for YOUR safety so if you operate on roads I would recommend that you purchase the new signs even in states that do not require their use.

/ SMV signs and IL #8  
tallyho8 said:
The ASAE S276.5 and ASAE S276.6 both are labeled at the bottom of the SMV sign. Old signs are not grandfathered in and must be replaced. The new signs are designed to be reflective twice as long and 10 times more than the old signs so they don't have to be replaced nearly as often. These signs are for YOUR safety so if you operate on roads I would recommend that you purchase the new signs even in states that do not require their use.

You are correct...;)
NASD: Roadway Safety: Lighting and Marking of Agricultural Equipment

/ SMV signs and IL
How interesting...I knew I asked in the right place. :) Around here I dont think theres any particular req'ment for the SMV sign other than to have at least one somewhere on the implement/tractor. All I have seem to be the new type but I havent looked to see if theyre labeled w/ a version #. I know theyre REALLY bright when hit w/ lights at night. The reflection really lights things up!

/ SMV signs and IL #10  
tallyho8 said:

Ironically.. every instance I've seen locally that involved a tractor wreck also involved a hill or curve. A sign 100 thousand times more visible wouldn't have helped.. unless you could see it aroud a corner.

It's a nice gesture that they are changing all the rules for our safety.. however.. methinks this was a good gesture that snowballed into a deal that will cost the farmers money, make money for the sign sellers.. and in the end.. have a less than tangible effect of road safety due to the 'OTHER" drivers.. not the farm drivers.. etc. just my opinion... I see this kind of legislation all the time.. especially for guns.. etc..

soundguy