Rara Avis

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere
DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in
cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary
recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using
recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: DEWALT DW744 Jobsite Table Saws

Units: About 13,000

Manufacturer: DEWALT Industrial Tool Co., of Towson, Md.

Hazard: The pivot bracket on the saw can separate which can misalign the
blade and the fence and cause kick back. This poses a laceration hazard
to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: DEWALT has received one reported incident of the
table saw's blade misaligning. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves the 10 inch DEWALT jobsite table saw
model number DW744. Date codes included in the recall are 200715 through
200740. The table saws are yellow and black. The model number and date
code are located on the name plate on the front of the saw. Table saws
with an "X" stamped on the name plate by the date code are not included
in this recall.

Sold at: Major home centers and hardware stores nationwide from April
2007 through January 2008 for about $500.

Manufactured in: Mexico

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled table saws
and contact DEWALT for the location of a service center to obtain a free
replacement table saw.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact DEWALT toll-free
at (888) 742-9178 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or
visit the firm's Web site at DEWALT: High Performance Industrial Tools and Accessories

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #2  
dewalts quality is really going downhill. metal gears are being replaced by plastic, and the recalls are getting fast and furious.

I have just about one of everything they make it seems, but as it breaks I'll be replacing it with Bosch and Makita and the like. Sad.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #3  
I have one of those but it looks like it is older than the ones being recalled. It was made in Mexico though. No problems in over 2 years so I guess it's ok.

Terry

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #4  
Charlesaf3 said:
dewalts quality is really going downhill. metal gears are being replaced by plastic, and the recalls are getting fast and furious.

I have just about one of everything they make it seems, but as it breaks I'll be replacing it with Bosch and Makita and the like. Sad.

That's what happens when Black & Decker owns a tool company. I expect Delta and Porter-Cable to get crappier now that B & D own them. I now call DeWalt by what seems to be more appropriate...DeFault.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #5  
mjncad said:
That's what happens when Black & Decker owns a tool company. I expect Delta and Porter-Cable to get crappier now that B & D own them. I now call DeWalt by what seems to be more appropriate...DeFault.
DeWalt was always B&D (they weren't acquired) and Porter Cable was in the tank long before B&D bought out the division from Pentair.

I stopped buying Porter Cable several years ago when they sadly threw in the towel and became basically a Chinese tool remarker-- stuff had the same shape as the Harbor Freight tools, just different color [I even called them up when they first changed, to find out if the tools were Chinese or American or what. Yep, Chinese]. Too bad, I liked their tools before that.

Don't know about Delta, but then I usually buy Grizzly stationary tools since I don't need top end precision, but I do want replacement parts availability-- something lacking from most suppliers of Chinese tools. I have both Delta and DeWalt 12+-" luggable planers, Delta is maybe a little better but I use the DeWalt more.

The B&D 18v cordless stuff is pretty good. I flog my tiny 18v cordless chainsaw and it has kept right on working somewhat to my astonishment. Walk around with a bandolier of batteries... weedwacker is light duty but good for small stuff, and the blower is much more convenient than a corded. And, no gasoline, no springtime carb problems, no 'won't start in the cold', and other hassles like with my gas brushwacker (needed for the heavy stuff), gas compactor, gas....

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #6  
Had a gear strip on my Dewalt angle grinder. I ordered a new one from Dewalt and when I was putting it on I noticed it was stamped "made in China". Probably why the first one went south.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #7  
I will have to check mine out tomorrow. Beyond that, the reality is that table saws are dangerous.

Always have been and more than likely, always will be.

Not that a given tool is not dangerous mind you. I just think that having an owners manual with ten pages of warnings and one page of "nuts N' bolts" borders on rediculous.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #8  
horse7 said:
DeWalt was always B&D (they weren't acquired) and Porter Cable was in the tank long before B&D bought out the division from Pentair.

I knew DeFault was owned by B & D for quite some time; but like everything B & D owns...it seems to be turned into junk.

I own a Pentair-Delta 10" bench grinder. It's a decent machine; but I wish I would have bought the equivalent Jet. However, I've always suspected that Delta was at their best when Rockwell owned them; but that is a guess on my part.

About 3-years ago, a friend of mine was shopping for a 10" table saw for an extremely small shop. He narrowed it down to the Jet SuperSaw and the DeWalt equivalent. At the time, the price was similar; but the Jet is a far superior machine. Better fit, finish, parts, assembly, fence, etc, etc. The DeWalt looked like it was made in a back alley. My friend bought the Jet and is happy with it, except for the miter gauge, He wants to get an Incra 1000SE like mine.

Not that I do much woodworking; but I'd like a SawStop table saw. I have a Grizzly 5"x6" swivel head horizontal bandsaw I am happy with. Jet now sells the same saw with a few more features.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #9  
QRTRHRS said:
I will have to check mine out tomorrow. Beyond that, the reality is that table saws are dangerous.

Always have been and more than likely, always will be.

Not that a given tool is not dangerous mind you. I just think that having an owners manual with ten pages of warnings and one page of "nuts N' bolts" borders on rediculous.

I think PatG has the least dangerous table saw made. His will stop if it detects flesh instead of wood in it. I dont have a clue how it does it though.

/ DEWALT Recalls Table Saws Due to Laceration Hazard #10  
gemini - sawstop. probably what I'll get. nice saw by accounts, aside from the safety bit