Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
What the heck?! I'm mowing a back portion of my property that has been too wet to mow for about a month or so on a Grasshopper ZTR and a darn deer jumps up all the sudden and belts me a good one! It knocked me clean off the mower and bent one of my steering handles. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't have my seatbelt on (since I was just slowly mowing a flat area) or I would have really taken a whipping.

I guess it was laying down in the tall grass and planning on just hiding there and I finally got too close. Either way, it was not anything I expected while just minding my own business mowing the back part of my property! Anybody else have this happen? Dang if I'm not a bit sore and he broke a perfectly good set of headphones to boot.

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #2  
:D

Ever see the video of the guy that disguised himself as a deer, complete with the female scent stuff, and got the living fool tore out of him when a buck saw him and realized he wasn't a deer? Funny but he ended up in the hospital:rolleyes:

Next time don't mow wearing your deer suit:cool:

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #3  
Dargo said:
What the heck?! I'm mowing a back portion of my property that has been too wet to mow for about a month or so on a Grasshopper ZTR and a darn deer jumps up all the sudden and belts me a good one! It knocked me clean off the mower and bent one of my steering handles. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't have my seatbelt on (since I was just slowly mowing a flat area) or I would have really taken a whipping.

I guess it was laying down in the tall grass and planning on just hiding there and I finally got too close. Either way, it was not anything I expected while just minding my own business mowing the back part of my property! Anybody else have this happen? Dang if I'm not a bit sore and he broke a perfectly good set of headphones to boot.
Dargo glad you are OK.We have a major deer problem where I live here in southern Michigan.I hit a fawn the other day while brush hogging,and seen other deer taking off into the woods.coobie

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #4  
Dargo,

I think you just topped the list on deer encounter stories!!!!! Not only have I never heard of anything like that happening, I wouldn't have thought it possible until now. I wonder if it was attacking you, or if it was so scared that it just went in the direction it was facing and you happened to be in the way?

Eddie

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!!
EddieWalker said:
I wonder if it was attacking you, or if it was so scared that it just went in the direction it was facing and you happened to be in the way?

Eddie

I just got out of the shower. I'm pretty sure the darn thing tinkled on me when it hit me! So, I guess it panicked and just jumped the wrong direction. I dunno. I just saw a quick brown flash, saw it's eyes wide open, and WHAM, off the mower I go and we're both sprawled on the ground. And, no, it wasn't me who tinkled on myself! (at least I don't think so...and I'm sticking to that story) Oddly enough, my foot seems to be the most sore. I think it stomped on it when it jumped up to run off after knocking me off the mower.

I still need to use the string trimmer. Should I wear a helmet?

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #6  
I was coming home from work one evening on the country roads and along comes a train. So I stop and right then it blows it's whistle and a deer jumped out of the field next to me and ran right into the driver's side of my truck. Imagine having to call the insurance company and say, "NO, I didn't hit the deer, the deer HIT ME!" It took awhile to explain to them. Also scared the snot out of me while it happened! Glad you are okay, Dargo. I've had them jump out of the grass right in front of horses while I was riding so I imagine it can happen while mowing.

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #7  
Dargo,

You're killing me!!!!!!!!!! Your description of what happened is the funniest thing I've read in a long time.

On a side note, I've heard over and over again from people who hunt, that an animal was charging them after they shot it, or shot at it. My thought has always been that the animal wants to escape and the fastest way to do this is to go in the direction that it's already facing. It's in total flight mode and it is just going to go straight ahead. It does not know, nor does it care what's in front of it. It's fear is beyond reason and all it wants to do it go.

This is very, very common in the stories I hear about wild hog attacks.

Eddie

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #9  
TBDonnelly said:
What, No pictures? :D :p :D

Don

PS: Glad you wern't seriously hurt.

I guess if he'd had time to take pictures, he'd also have had time to get out of the way.:D

/ Holy mackerel, I got hit by a deer mowing my lawn!! #10  
My first thought was "how did he get a deer to mow his lawn?" :rolleyes:

Bake