Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #11  
One of my many fears is the fear of heights. I can go up so far, then I freeze up. Usualy about two stories is my max, and that takes allot of effort. Seeing those guys who climb up those trees and swing around while the tree is moving is just amazing to me. Probably one of the professions that scares me the most, and impresses me the most all at the same time!!!!

Great pics Bird, thanks for posting them.

Eddie

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree
what usually takes the most time trying not to leave big "divots" in nice yards

Yep, and they were doing that; i.e., using ropes to slowly lower the limbs as they were cut off. And most (not all) of the time, he was using safety ropes to hold himself if he fell. Basically, they were using a blue rope for him and a white rope to lower the limbs he cut, and then, in addition to the blue rope, he had a smaller brown rope attached to his belt that he'd hook around the tree at times. But the yard is going to be a mess anyway because of all those huge roots on and above the surface. They're supposed to grind all of them down below ground level.

And Eddie, I'm like you; no way I'd have been up there where this guy was, and he had to be one strong, tough fellow to have the strength to stay up there as long as he did.

Attachments

• TreeClimber2.jpg
    TreeClimber2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,423
   / Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #13  
Wind barrier - thats about all I can think of poplar use in my country. But Bird, those are nice pictures and I am sure the process was worth watching. Thanks for sharing.

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #14  
A neighbor at our old city house was on .20/.25 of an acre. The back yard was full of large pines which most of the houses including our had as well. After all of the canes he had ALL of the pines taken out. The crew had a bob cat, backhoe, trucks, chainsaws and rope.

They where climbing those trees like monkeys. I thought for sure they would drop SOMETHING on his house but they tied off limbs/trunk sections which when cut fell the way they wanted. It was very impressive to watch. I did not see over ear protection when they ran the Stihls. They may have had plugs and they may have had on safety trousers but I don't think so.

They were there a good part of a week and I think they only charged him 3K. They made money off the pine though. But for 4-5 days of work with all of that equipment and 3-4 men I though 3K was pretty cheap. My FIL had to pay close to 6K to have a couple trees removed after Floyd left them hanging over the house. It required a crane to remove.

Later,
Dan

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #15  
can think of poplar use in my country

Poplar is used in furniture for parts that are hidden from view. Back panels and drawer bottoms, backs and sides may be of poplar. We also have poplar plywood that is used as sub flooring and one can by poplar step boards. :D

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #16  
Hammer you might be traveling in the wrong crowd if all of the climbers you met have drug problems. I have been at it 20 years and have only ran into one with a drug problem so far. That schmuck took one of my good climbing saws... I would like to find him up in a tree working some time.. I will start up one of my saws at the base of the tree and scare the <<<< out of him.
Now if you were to do a sanity check on us climbers you probably find about 100% were a bit looney:D

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #17  
Hammer you might be traveling in the wrong crowd if all of the climbers you met have drug problems. I have been at it 20 years and have only ran into one with a drug problem so far. That schmuck took one of my good climbing saws... I would like to find him up in a tree working some time.. I will start up one of my saws at the base of the tree and scare the <<<< out of him.
Now if you were to do a sanity check on us climbers you probably find about 100% were a bit looney:D

A friend of mine (a tree guy) told me this joke: "How do you tell which one of the tree climbers is the foreman/supervisor? He's the one with the drivers license and car."

I once hired a guy to limb up some tall doug firs. One day, from 6 feet away I could smell alcohol. I didn't think much of it since he did good work and his rates were pretty cheap. After I thought about it a while, I wondered what would happen if he fell and died while working on my property. (think liability, lawsuits, etc.) I haven't hired him back, and if I get more trees limbed, I'm going to make sure I deal only with a licensed and insured outfit.

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #18  
One could make a few boards from that tree!:D:D:D

There is a reason why no one builds with cottonwood. I wouldn't even include Cottonwood as a species for firewood. Yes, that bad!!

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #19  
Yep it is too soft for anything structural. That's why they grow large plots of it here to make Toilet paper.. That's all it is good for.. Great for sucking up water if you have area's you need to dry out...

/ Cutting Down a Big Cottonwood Tree #20  
Check out wood structural strength tables.:D:D

Pound for pound it's appears just as strong!:D:D

Same goes for BTU value. :D:D