77 yr.old crushed to death !!

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #1  

jamestaylor72

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
I cringe when I read stuff like this !!! Please be careful out there everyone !!!
jt

- A 77-year-old man was crushed by a 4,500-pound tractor Friday afternoon while he was loading it onto a trailer.

By STACY MILLBERG - Staff Writer - smillberg@starbeacon.com
Star Beacon

CHERRY VALLEY TOWNSHIP A 77-year-old man was crushed by a 4,500-pound tractor Friday afternoon while he was loading it onto a trailer.

Eugene Detwiler, of Holidaysburg, Pa., was pronounced dead at the scene, 2276 Sentinel Road, at 2:48 p.m. Detwiler was driving the tractor onto the trailer when it flipped backwards, landing on top of him, said Tom Lucas, paramedic with Pymatuning Ambulance Service.

Detwiler sustained head, neck and chest trauma when the John Deere 4020 landed on him, he said.

æ»´e was definitely crushed by the tractor, Lucas said.

Emergency personnel received report of the accident at about 2:30 p.m. A medical helicopter was immediately called, but was canceled en route.

Detwiler was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:41 p.m., said Richard Mongell, chief investigator for the Ashtabula County coronerç—´ office.

The property is owned by Tony Polchin, who was having the tractor sent out for some repair work, Lucas said.

Polchinç—´ 8-year-old daughter was watching Detwiler load the tractor and witnessed the entire accident.

PAS, Dorset Volunteer Fire Department and the Ashtabula County Sheriffç—´ Department responded to the call. No further information was available.

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #2  
Wouldnt the 4020 be closer to 4500 kg- double the 4500 lbs ???? anyways, both are enough to kill you.

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #3  
Go up backwards whenever possible.

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !!
Wouldnt the 4020 be closer to 4500 kg- double the 4500 lbs ???? anyways, both are enough to kill you.

Ya know,, I thought that sounded kinda light for that model Renze ! I think my 4120 compact weighs nearly 4000 lbs with the loader on,,,, and I believe that 4020 is a much bigger piece of iron. But, as you said,, it don't take much to crush a man !!

Go up backwards whenever possible.

I'm also guessing that these older models are not equipped with ROPS either ??? I'm sure the ROPS system would've helped in a situaiton such as this.

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #6  
Detwiler sustained head, neck and chest trauma when the John Deere 4020 landed on him, he said.

How did a dead 77yr old man tell the medics what happened?

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #7  

said Tom Lucas, paramedic with Pymatuning Ambulance Service.

Very sad to hear. I wonder the relationship of the guy loading the tractor to the guy who owned it?

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #8  

Correct---that 4020 can weigh from 8600 to 14000 lb, depending on configuration. He apparently was not backing that tractor up the ramps. A basic error causes a fatality.

I'm having my newly purchased 1951 Farmall Super A trucked down to my place from Susanville CA later this week. Talked to my hauler about loading and unloading that small 2400 lb tractor. He has a lo-boy vehicle transport trailer and will back the tractor up the ramps. I'm glad he's the one driving that 130 mile stretch of Hwy 36 through the Lassen National Forest--2-lane, lotsa dangerous curves, big double-bottom trucks hogging the road.

/ 77 yr.old crushed to death !! #9  

"HE" is Tom Lucas, paramedic with Pymatuning Ambulance Service.

I think probably the little girl that witnessed the accident gave em the details.