Bee's

/ Bee's #21  
Very nice looking apiary you have there. You must be located in the north using those double brood boxes.
IIRC most people in upstate NY use 2 deep supers and 1-3 shallow supers in the summer and 2 deep supers + (sometimes) 1 shallow in the winter.

Aaron Z

/ Bee's #22  
Well, you know over here in Oregon, we sometimes run out of equipment and grab whatever is on hand:

Garden2004006.jpg

This one took all day to move in!!!

Garden2004008.jpg

Work safe.
Work Smart.
Have fun!!

/ Bee's #25  
You guys have me wondering if I could start a hive on my place as a hobby.
I have 44 acres in the middle of a big plot of national forest. Their isn't much in the way of crops for miles. I do have about 2 acres that I am slowing turning into a food plot.

I am thinking I need to get more pollen producing plants going before I try to start a hive but I was wondering if it's at all feasible...how much care is required? I am an absentee owner who makes to the farm every other weekend or so.

TIA

/ Bee's #26  
I'm guessing that you have more than enough forage in your area.
What we all need when getting started is good experienced help. (free!)
Here is a link to your state beekeepers association.
Find your local association and attend their next meeting.
It's fun!

AR Beekeepers Local Associations

/ Bee's #27  
my neighabor down the road raises bees,he showed me once this queen bee he 'd just got in the mail.it was in a little cage and the hole was plugged with a piece of candy,he said you place the cage between two hives that the workers will eat the candy thus releasing the queen.he said about 100.00 will get you started.not to change the subject but has anyone ever been nailed by carptner bees?they are white and black and about bumblebee size.I was digging out a stump once and hit a nest of em.I was chased by a group of em for more than 150ft.three of them nailed me all on the face and ear.wound up burning the stump.

/ Bee's #29  
You guys have me wondering if I could start a hive on my place as a hobby.
I have 44 acres in the middle of a big plot of national forest. Their isn't much in the way of crops for miles. I do have about 2 acres that I am slowing turning into a food plot.
TIA

Check with your county extension service. They should be able to help you and get in contact with local Bee Keepers. Either the state or our county, forget which, just had a program to give away bees/hives to people. I heard about the program too late to do it. Still would like too set up a hive or two but just wonder about having the time.

I did notice real honey bees in the garden this year. Have not really seen them that much over the last few years.

Later,
Dan

/ Bee's #30  
Sunspot, here is an updated photo on my bee hive. A&M never came out and the nest keeps getting bigger. I hope they survive the winter again.

Attachments

• bee hive.jpg
    bee hive.jpg
    688.3 KB · Views: 122