Bee's

/ Bee's #1  

Sackett2

Platinum Member
Tractor
Montana 4344HST
All sorts of safety is covered here, but something I forgot about were bee's. While driving my tractor, i think about loads, tilt, pto blackberry vines- all things associated with operation of the rig, but today I was reminded of bees.
No, no stings, didn't even bother the nest.
The son and I were feeding brush into two fires all afternoon, just cleaning up the summers mess. All done, parked the tractor in the front yard (doesn't everybody?) and looked across the dry slew, at a tree. Damm, that looks like a paper nest. So we walked down to it and looked-Bald faced hornets nest, under the size of a basket ball, still active. Now the tree is just losing leaves, most the tree still covered but this low hanging branch is almost bare. Wouldn't have been 3 months ago when I was hogging with my new tractor right next to it! The ROP would have thumped it nicely if I had seen the need to shortcut under the tree.
I'll be looking up a bit more from now on, as if I didn't have enough things to be paranoid about.
Y'all be careful
Steve

/ Bee's #2  
Steve,

There is a difference between wasps and bees, what you saw there were wasps. Bee's are the honey bee variety, and the difference is when they sting. A wasp can sting multiple times and never leave a stinger embedded in you, where a honey bee can only sting once and can leave a stinger and 1/2 of its hind end attached to you at that same time. Of course the honey bee then dies after this last blast of glory.

As for the Bald Face Hornet nest you encountered, I got nailed by one of those this past spring picking Black Raspberries, and it was like a hot pin going into my hand. WOW that really hurt. Well, after that I took a flare to the nest that night and got my revenge! Felt good too.....:D

Anyways, bee careful around them thar things as they will get ya!!

Craig

/ Bee's #3  
Sounds like time for target practice. Have your son, yourself, and a few buddies over for a 12 guage vs wasp nest party. Remember, all fire at once:D.

/ Bee's #4  
Sounds like time for target practice. Have your son, yourself, and a few buddies over for a 12 guage vs wasp nest party. Remember, all fire at once:D.

I tried that once when I was a kid. You will definately kill some of them, but not all.

Terry

/ Bee's #5  
I tried that once when I was a kid. You will definately kill some of them, but not all.

Terry

Yeah, but if all fire at once chances are the queen is gonna get it and then they all die. Just stand back and BOOM:D! Happy hunting:D.

/ Bee's
Matt, your a baaaad influence.
I can see the dr. treating me and asking what happened.
"well this guy on the internet said to shoot the bees nest with shotguns......"

/ Bee's #7  
Suggestion, wait till the dead freezing cold of winter, then torch it.

Don

/ Bee's
yea, thats my plan. I'm not scared of it, just lucky my rop didn't ring it like a bell

/ Bee's #9  
Wait untill after the winter set in then clip the branch above it and SAVE the nest Then spay it with clear varnish Then hang it in ur front room for decoration.

/ Bee's #10  
It's my understanding that Hornets only use their nest one season ... anyone know if that is true? I'm not too worried about Bee's unless I'm breaking ground and happen disturb Mr. Bumble Bee … he can and will put hurt on you! There are a number of different “stinging” insects that we need to beware of!
Leo