How Loud is my Tractor?

/ How Loud is my Tractor? #1  

Clemson

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 230
The ProEars discussion got me to thinking. I wear EAR foam plugs when I operate my machine. (They have a NRR of 29 when properly inserted, which is better than most muffs on the market, and they are a lot cooler. Regardless, I would like to have the ProEars to use when I hunt as well as when I might want to use the radio, etc., while operating the tractor.)

I did measure the sound pressure on my tractor with an inexpensive unit that I keep at work. It is an "Extech Digital Sound Level Meter." I set the weighting to "A" and the Response to "Slow." (I did compare the measurements to an expensive meter that we have as a poor man's calibration, and it seems to be accurate.) I measured from the operator's seat at head level.

My tractor is a Massey Ferguson 230 with a 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel displacing about 152 cubic inches. I ran the rpm up to around 1740, which the tach says is the right speed for operating the PTO at 540. While sitting still, I measured about 92.5 dBA. That is certainly high enough to cause hearing loss from prolonged exposure. I didn't try it with the rotary cutter running because I was short of time. I also noticed that I have bashed a hole in my muffler, so that undoubtedly contributed some to the noise.

/ How Loud is my Tractor? #2  
Here is a chart that is from the OSHA Hearing Conservation regulations. In brief, it shows the dBA that is allowable over a given time period. There's a lot more to the regulation than just this, but basically using your measurement of 92.5 dBA, you could "safely" operate the tractor without hearing protection for no more than 6 continuous hours. Like I said, there's more to it than that, but it's a starting point. In actuality, just the problem of "nuisance" noise would have me wearing protection even if it were only for a 1/2 hour. Hope this helps.

Duration/Day Sound Level dBA
Hours Slow Response
1 1/2..............................102
3/4................................107
1/2................................110
1/4 or less.......................115

/ How Loud is my Tractor? #3  
Ahhhhhh, now I am beginning to understand. I have often wondered how these young people could stay in their cars with the stereo so loud that it will rattle your windows a half mile away..
Silly me. They can't hear it, they have all gone deaf. They don't even know it is that loud. /w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif

/ How Loud is my Tractor? #4  
Clemson,

I had a Massey Ferguson 231S that I believe had that same Perkins engine. It was the loudest of the diesel tractors that I have owned in that HP range.

I have owned a John Deere, International and now a Kubota and the Perkins was quite a bit louder. It also out performed all but the Kubota. The 3 cylinder Perkins had amazing power for its size and was the clear winner (even against the Kubota) on fuel consumption.

I had the tractor about a year and a half and I never got used to the "clatter" of the Perkins. It was one tough little engine though.

TBone