3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link)

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #2  
Ah, yes. Three years old and he was playing out on the driveway unsupervised.

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #3  
Too close to home and know too many of the responders involved. Reported to be a small Kubota. A rare, sunny November day.

HTTP://www.dailyastorian.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&subsectionID=398&articleID=55902&Q=78523.74
Web Posted 11/11/2008 10:16:00 AM
Article :

SEASIDE - A 31⁄2 year-old Seaside boy died Monday afternoon when he was pinned under the front tire of a compact tractor that had been parked in the driveway of his home on Beerman Creek Road.

The boy's mother, Mindy Kilburn, 24, found him and called 9-1-1, but Ethan Christopher Kilburn was dead when emergency personnel arrived at the scene around 1:30 p.m.

An investigation by the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office determine that Ethan had been playing on the tractor and had released the brake, causing the tractor to roll. The boy then fell from the tractor and was pinned under the front tire, causing him to suffocate, according to a news release from CCSO Sgt. Mark Whisler.

"Our hearts go out to the family. It's a very tragic accident," Sheriff Tom Bergin said today.

The boy's uncle, Chad Lee, had been driving the tractor earlier, moving bark and rock, according to CCSO accident report, and had parked it to go inside the house for a few minutes. He told authorities he had set the brake.

Both Ethan and his 5-year old brother, Gabriel Kilburn, had been riding on the tractor with him earlier, Lee told investigators. The boys' father, Luke Kilburn, 29, was not at home at the time of the accident.

Dr. Joann Stefanelli, the county medical examiner, a Seaside police officer, members of the Seaside Fire Department and Medix Ambulance personnel also responded.

Fire Marshal Chris Dugan said firefighters stood by until sheriff's deputies got there, then helped lift the tractor off the boy. "It was a very traumatic scene," Dugan said. He said members of the Trauma Intervention Program (TIP) team were called in to counsel emergency responders.

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #4  
Ah, yes. Three years old and he was playing out on the driveway unsupervised.

On a slope that was steep enough for it to roll by merely releasing the brake, so presumably it wasn't parked in gear.
No loader or 3pt attachment sitting on the ground to stop it either ?
Tragic )-:

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #5  
Giving kids "rides" on the tractor and treating it like a toy just makes them all that more likely to "play" with it like a toy without being mature enough to appreciate the danger. Sadly, this is not an uncommon chain of events leading to injury and occasionally death of children around tractors and riding lawn mowers.

I think of these types of accidents every time I park my tractor and imagine what would happen from even something as innocent sounding as leaving the mowing deck up if it were to get dropped on a toddler's foot. Then I take every precaution to park in a level spot, lower everything that can be lowered, set the brake, leave in gear, and remove the key!

Then, I try to make sure the kids never play on it.

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #6  
I have a 3 year-old grandson living with us for a time, along with his family; mom, dad and younger brother of 19 months. When "grandpa" fires up the tractor, the kids go inside. They are now conditioned for this; when they hear me start it up, they head in directly. They can watch from the window, but aren't allowed out until I come in to get them. Allowing children to think of a tractor as any kind of play thing is just so irresponsible that it makes me think some folks shouldn't be allowed to have kids. Even with those precautions, I have backed over more than one of their toys. It could as easily have one of them on the toy if they were outside.

Always relax the hydraulics on the 3PT and FEL. If little guys do get out and start to play,,,

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #7  
Too close to home and know too many of the responders involved. Reported to be a small Kubota. A rare, sunny November day.

HTTP://www.dailyastorian.com/main.asp?SectionID=2&subsectionID=398&articleID=55902&Q=78523.74
Web Posted 11/11/2008 10:16:00 AM
Article :

SEASIDE - A 31⁄2 year-old Seaside boy died Monday afternoon when he was pinned under the front tire of a compact tractor that had been parked in the driveway of his home on Beerman Creek Road.

The boy's mother, Mindy Kilburn, 24, found him and called 9-1-1, but Ethan Christopher Kilburn was dead when emergency personnel arrived at the scene around 1:30 p.m.

An investigation by the Clatsop County Sheriff's Office determine that Ethan had been playing on the tractor and had released the brake, causing the tractor to roll. The boy then fell from the tractor and was pinned under the front tire, causing him to suffocate, according to a news release from CCSO Sgt. Mark Whisler.

"Our hearts go out to the family. It's a very tragic accident," Sheriff Tom Bergin said today.

The boy's uncle, Chad Lee, had been driving the tractor earlier, moving bark and rock, according to CCSO accident report, and had parked it to go inside the house for a few minutes. He told authorities he had set the brake.

Both Ethan and his 5-year old brother, Gabriel Kilburn, had been riding on the tractor with him earlier, Lee told investigators. The boys' father, Luke Kilburn, 29, was not at home at the time of the accident.

Dr. Joann Stefanelli, the county medical examiner, a Seaside police officer, members of the Seaside Fire Department and Medix Ambulance personnel also responded.

Fire Marshal Chris Dugan said firefighters stood by until sheriff's deputies got there, then helped lift the tractor off the boy. "It was a very traumatic scene," Dugan said. He said members of the Trauma Intervention Program (TIP) team were called in to counsel emergency responders.

Didn't hear this one on the news...I'm up the Columbia from you...Sad stories...Happens way too often.

Don

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #8  
Giving kids "rides" on the tractor and treating it like a toy just makes them all that more likely to "play" with it like a toy without being mature enough to appreciate the danger. Sadly, this is not an uncommon chain of events leading to injury and occasionally death of children around tractors and riding lawn mowers.

I think of these types of accidents every time I park my tractor and imagine what would happen from even something as innocent sounding as leaving the mowing deck up if it were to get dropped on a toddler's foot. Then I take every precaution to park in a level spot, lower everything that can be lowered, set the brake, leave in gear, and remove the key!

Then, I try to make sure the kids never play on it.
There aren't any kids in my neighborhood so this isn't to likely to happen here.
Still i apply the brake with the hst in low or high range and lower front and or rear implements to the ground whem parking the tractor.
Remove the keys also.

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #9  
Yes Murphy s law if it can happen it will.
I have noticed on my 2003 DK45 kioti if left in high range on a steep grade it can drift so i try and set the parking brake all the time and try to find level areas for parking even if just for a few minutes. but all it takes to release is to push on the brake pedal. With my sisters 770 john deer you have to push on the pedals and then move the park lever down to release.

/ 3-year-old boy dies in tractor accident (news link) #10  
With a lot of tractors now, leaving in gear does nothing to keep it from rolling. Even some geared tractors such as my JD4520 will free wheel if the engine is off. The clutch is hydraulicly driven- so no hydro, no engagement. Parking diesels in gear used to be a no-no as well for some units as the kill lever would go back when released and they were subject to "bump starting". Brakes and chocks for slopes.

I'm real glad I wasn't on this call.

TEW