Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #21  
I am not sure where this info came from, but Ford hasn't made a truck under 4,000 lbs since the early 70's. (if ever)

After you've been there a few times, you will learn, WikiAnswers is populated by WikiIdiots.

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #22  
I've seen comment elsewhere that an F250 (not sure which years, might have been the older 7.3) with diesel and 4WD has PRECIOUS LITTLE payload capacity, a few hundred pounds.
As in "forget about ANY gooseneck trailer with THAT truck" and almost any tongue weight can result in BAD numbers for the rear axle on the scales.
Weigh station officers KNOW which vehicles are marginal with what sort of loads behind them.

My 1995 F250 7.3 liter diesel supercab has a 4000 pound payload which I thought is rather substantial.

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #23  
I replaced an old bridge back in 2002 on a small county road. It was made of metal I beams and railroad tie deck. Taking an F250 across it would make it shake. Before we started the actual tear down of it, I watched the county take two motor graders across it (one at time)! I could only shake my head as I watched the whole structure shake from 100 yards away; dirt and dust falling from the head walls. I did notice that they about doubled their speed before hitting the bridge though. :D

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #24  
My Sonoma has only 800# payload capacity. Which seems just silly.

I regularly hauled 200gal of water in it, twice its limit, with no ill effects (other than squatting, braking, handling, etc....)

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #25  
Actual measured weight of my empty 96 F350 4x4 crewcab diesel was 4400 lbs front axle, 3300 rear axle*. Now that I have a commercial top and my junk in it I'm guessing around 9000, based on weight at gravel plant with trailer, that supposedly weighs around 3,000. I'm at 12,000 going in and 23,000 coming out:)

*The heavy front explained why if I stick the front end on something soft the rear end can't pull it out...sure glad I ordered 4x4:D
I also like to kid the small car owners that have as much weight on ONE front tire as their whole car...so don't cut me off:eek:

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #26  
.......Our SNOWMOBILE trail bridges are built sturdier than that bridge:eek:

I would hope he has insurance that will help pay for the repairs.

Posted limits are only as good as the enforcement of them. That would also include the responsibility of the entity responsible for it- maintain it and assess its use to determine if the structure meets the current need and use.

Too bad agriculture has fallen to the bottom of the barrel there (priority wise). You can bet that if that were a public roadway bridge and it were not properly followed and maintained- and there was a crash that injured someone........wait that did happen. And thus ensued a national paranoia induced inspection of public roadway bridges (appropriate heads rolling for not doing their jobs as well!).

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #27  
Weight limit signs are actually a value that is determined by:

Congress enacted the Bridge Formula in 1975 to limit the weight-to-length ratio of a vehicle crossing a bridge. This is accomplished either by spreading weight over additional axles or by increasing the distance between axles.
Compliance with Bridge Formula weight limits is determined by using the following formula:
equation1.gif

W = the overall gross weight on any group of two or more consecutive axles to the nearest 500 pounds.
L = the distance in feet between the outer axles of any group of two or more consecutive axles.
N = the number of axles in the group under consideration.
In addition to Bridge Formula weight limits, Federal law states that single axles are limited to 20,000 pounds, and axles closer than 96 inches apart (tandem axles) are limited to 34,000 pounds. Gross vehicle weight is limited to 80,000 pounds (23 U.S.C. 127).
August 2006
FHWA-HOP-O6-105
U.S. Department of Transportation
Federal Highway Administration

Solo

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #28  
Do those carts hook up directly to the drawbar?? In one of the photo's it looks like its hooked onto the three point hitch somehow. He's lucky that tractor didn't go with the cart.

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #29  
I am not sure where this info came from, but Ford hasn't made a truck under 4,000 lbs since the early 70's. (if ever)

WikiAnswers information.

Lots of answers. The vast majority of them completely wrong. ;)

/ Oops - Why you should follow posted bridge limits #30  
Will not help him but just think, come Jan 20th with the new administration and the new repair the roads and bridge plans this will all be bad memories.

Some of these are really sad. On some roads here I really wonder how heavy equipment is moved. Good for our area such large tractors don't fit the fields.

Don't miss the possibility the driver may not have been able to read (at least English) or may have had no idea of the tractor or grain. Sometimes who is driving farm equipment will scare you when there is rush going on, such as harvest. My wife is a very good driver, a 9 ton limit sign would mean nothing to her. If you asked on the weight of the tractor, clueless as most people who never have read it would be. Probably same for the load of grain.

My guess is most here would have no idea how much that rig weighs even without the grain. Don't hit me with you are suppose to know your load. Yep, you should also know who you vote for but that don't happen either.